• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broad Internet attack warning, get the patch NOW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turd Furguson

This MSNBC story details a recent flaw discovered in most recent versions of Windows (NT4, 2k, XP, 2003 Server) that could lead to a broad Internet attack given the enormous number of vulnerable computers out there.

Linky.

A few times a message has appeared on my screen suddenly telling me that NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM was going to shut down my PC. All you can do is save your work and basically take it like a man unforunately and let your computer reboot.

This is a security flaw in Microsoft Windows, mainly NT/XP/Server.
If you see this message you should install Windows updates as soon as possible. There is basically someone out there sending data to your PC causing this to happen.

Advisory Warning to all users of the following operating systems:

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Services Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Your Microsoft Operating System may potentially be under attack by HACKER ACTIVITY. The vulnerability attack can fool software into accepting insecure commands that could let intruders steal data, delete files or eavesdrop on e-mails.

Due to the seriousness of this vulnerability the Department of Homeland Security and Microsoft encourages system administrators and computer owners to update vulnerable versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems as soon as possible.

Our recommendation is to please go to:

http://microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp to install the patch immediately.

Ripped from another Techspot.

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows NT® 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Services Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003
Not Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

What about those Windows 95 and 98 users?

I don't believe Win95 and Win98 are officially supported anymore.

I've had this update installed for a while. Remember, kids, it's good to check out MSWU every now and then ;)

I know they are not officially supported and probably are not affected being on a same platform as ME, but being as big of news as this has been they owe it to the people to at least mention 9X versions of Windows.

CrashOveride said:
Did you know you have to download it with IE?

Or at least it tries to make you, any way not to do that? I hate IE.

Hey how do we not know if this is really you or your twin CrashOv3r1De.

just messing. ha. I use IE and I love it

Opera Gave me some problems.. I might try it again.

I think that other Crash should change his name... He might get confused with me later and everyone will think he is a slacker or something, lol.

Or maybe I should change mine...

Turd Furguson said:
Try Opera and you will probably change your mind. Pages load 2x faster than IE on my cable.

I have and also tried firebird. They are faster but I really dont mind. Im on cable anyways.

I am use to IE and I access it from Windows Explorer all the time and would require me to change my entire PC habits.

I also use Windows Media Player for my media files

I'm behind a router so do I really need to worry about installing the patch right now. Also are there any ports that I need to block on my router that would stop the hackers from taking over my system??

I would still do it anyway, and is it really that hard to do? No, so do it and protect yourself and others.

Mike2002 said:
I'm behind a router so do I really need to worry about installing the patch right now. Also are there any ports that I need to block on my router that would stop the hackers from taking over my system??

Might as well. You will have extra protection

JDXNC said:
32 unless you are tunning an Itanium or Opteron ;)

Only Itanium or Itanium 2. Opteron or A64 aren't supported. Only IA64 code is. Opteron and A64 are x86-64 code.

Mike2002 said:

You don't have to, but I would anyway. This patch has been out now for 2 weeks since the original release of information from the security group. This hole needs a specially crafted request to be sent to port 135, 139 and 445. Most ISP's block Port 135 and 139, so it's not as big of a hole as many people think, although it has the potential to be very dangerous.

Back