• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to lap a thermalrigth heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Ambush=-

Since I found out my volcano 11+ heatsink is worthles for overclocking, I am going to switch to a slk-800u while keeping the sf2 off of the thermaltake.

My question is, do I need to or should I lap it? I was going ot headover to home depot today to lap my volcano, but I won't bother wasting my time If I'm gettimg a new one.

I lapped my slk-800. I would recommend it. Its not that its a poor quality when it arrives but still it makes a decent improvement.

Am I misunderstanding you though? Are you lapping it at home depot somehow or just getting sandpaper there? As an FYI I was unable to find the proper grit at home depot. Had to go to an autoparts store since all home depot's sandpaper was more for sanding wood

Before spending all that money on a new heatsink, just try lapping the V11 first. It'll only cost you a few dollars. Thermaltake bases start out so poorly that you'll probably see a big drop in temps. IMO don't decide to buy a new HS until you lap your old one.

well I'll try that then, I also have some asc coming so that should lower temps too. Home Depot is the only place around my area that will sell single panes of glass. If they don't have any good sandpaper, my local hardwar store sells up to 1500 grit.

And does anyone know the diff between the 3 modes of the prime95 torture test??

Back