• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can you fail to boot too many times?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deeppow

OK, this seems to have happened twice.

Make a change to the bios which it doesn't like for some reason and at startup the bios screen points you back into the bios. I enter the bios again and change to where it should work. Same failure and then back into the bios. After a few times it seems the thing shuts down and I can't get it to boot at all.

Do the bios count failures and then lock out or do I have another problem that is really causing the behavior??

I need some help guys! This is really pi**ing me off! :mad: :mad:

Thanks for any feedback and help you may have.

There is no lockout that I know of. Must be something else wrong

Try to clear the CMOS and start over.

kct2 said:
There is no lockout that I know of. Must be something else wrong

Try to clear the CMOS and start over.

Have tried clearing the CMOS several times plus all the trickes like taking out the battery. It doesn't start the boot at all ---- just dead.

Have you done all the normal troubleshooting things? Any beeps sounds of any sort when it doesn't start? When you try to clear the bios you have the power cord disconnected, right?

Ya, did the normal things. Yes, had the power cord disconnected. Also removed the battery, disconnected the power cord and turn on the power to discharge the capacitors.

This is new RMA board. It was doing great at a fsb of 221 then this. :mad:

I was having a similiar problem today when I tried to upgrade my bios from 17 to 18. I tried clearing the cmos, removing the power cord, etc....

Here is what I did.

I disconnected the power cord and left it off for about three minutes.

During this time, I cleared the cmos, removed and inserted the battery back in.

I plugged the cord back in, held down on "insert" , pushed power and everything booted up.

Back