• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing Memory Timing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drunkagain

How important is it to change the memory timing? I'd like to OC my new system and a lot of this stuff is pretty new to me. My timing now is set at default to 10-4-4-3.0. Should I change anything or leave it at SPD.

AMD Barton 3500
Abit NF7-S vs1.2
512 Kingston HyperX pc 2500

Thanks.

Edit - Yes I meant pc 3500, thanks.

Last edited:
PC2500? Do you mean PC3500?

Anyway reducing the timings and having a lower FSB to compensate often gives a performance boost. Try to get the 3.0 down to 2.5 or even 2.0 for the maximum effect, and try lowering some of the other values and see what effect it has in Sandra mem benchmark or something.

Another question about memory, I keep reading it's better if the fsb is the same speed as the memory. How do I find that out and make sure that it is?

Thanks.

With the Abit, I think the setting to run your FSB and memory in sync is something like 1:1. If not, then try 100% or "sync"

As for your timings, AMD systems benefit more from tight timings than Intel systems. A peculiarity of the nf2 chipset is that the tras setting is best set at or around 11 depending on your system. So, you'll want to bring your settings to something like 2-2-11 CAS2

~THT

Top Hat Theater said:
With the Abit, I think the setting to run your FSB and memory in sync is something like 1:1. If not, then try 100% or "sync"

As for your timings, AMD systems benefit more from tight timings than Intel systems. A peculiarity of the nf2 chipset is that the tras setting is best set at or around 11 depending on your system. So, you'll want to bring your settings to something like 2-2-11 CAS2

~THT

Sorry for the newbie questions but the last time I OC'ed was on a P-166, and all I had to do was change the multiplier.

What is the tras setting? In my BIOS I have, row-active delay, row-to-CAS delay, row-precharge delay, and CAS latency time. The only one I can set to 11 is the row-active delay. Is this the one I should set to 11?

Again, thanks.

Back