• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What The *(*&% All I did was take out the Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stephan

Registered
CALLING ALL VETERANS! What The %$#@ All I did was take out the Memory

Ok, I'm baffled and frustrated. I took out the one stick of PC2700 memory and reinstalled it. Now the computer doesn't even post. I get nothing...no beeps....no code except FF....nothing comes up on the monitor...and I can't shut it off unless I pull the plug...I've tried different memory in different slots...looked everything over....disconnected the drives except one HDD....the other strange thing I noticed when I had the cd drives still installed....the lights would come on and stay on....wouldn't flash like normal.

What is going on?!!? Please Help!:temper: :bang head :bang head :bang head

Last edited:
Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Try booting the system outside of the case. You may have moved the board slightly while reinstalling the memory thereby causing it to short on one of the standoffs. Try different DIMM slots with the RAM too.

~THT

Does it sound like a CMOS problem? I've never "Cleared" a CMOS before. Never have had to. I know that there is a couple of pins that get shorted out to accomplish this but what does it do to the system? Set the BIOS all back to defaults?!!?

Thanks.....Anyone else have any other suggestions before I start tearing this thing apart?

I have tried the original memory stick in all of the slots to no avail.
I even tried some HyperX 3500 in all of the slots afterwards with no luck.

This makes absolutely no sense. All I did was take the one stick of memory out and reinstall it. I grounded myself before-hand. I don't think I moved the board because when I tried to see if that was a possibility I couldn't move it at all.

Last edited:
Well, I tried clearing the CMOS. I took the little yellow jumper off the two pins to one side and moved it over to the other two pins. Left it there for a minute or two and then replaced it the way it was. Powered the computer on and it's still the same. Power comes on (fans turn on) No beeps, FF code is posted, no video (monitor power led blinks), the two CD drive led's stay lit constantly, cannot turn power off unless I either disconnect the AC plug from the psu or hold the power button for about 10 seconds. I have moved the memory around to different slots and no help. Used different memory....no help.

Arrrggghhh!!!

Well, I tried clearing the CMOS. I took the little yellow jumper off the two pins to one side and moved it over to the other two pins. Left it there for a minute or two and then replaced it the way it was. Powered the computer on and it's still the same. Power comes on (fans turn on) No beeps, FF code is posted, no video (monitor power led blinks), the two CD drive led's stay lit constantly, cannot turn power off unless I either disconnect the AC plug from the psu or hold the power button for about 10 seconds. I have moved the memory around to different slots and no help. Used different memory....no help.

Arrrggghhh!!!

I tried another PS...not a very good one...250 Watt...(the only spare one I had lying around) but it did the same thing. The FF code comes on as soon as the power is turned on....Doesn't take a moment at all....it's immediate. I reseated the AGP video card (but doesn't a bad video card have the long beep followed by two short beeps) to no avail. Could it be the processor? I kinda doubt it though. It would at least post and hang in that case I think.

I checked all the connections on the complex header and everything seems to be hooked up and in the correct positions.

Any more ideas? I'm going crazy here!!!

Back