• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazy smurf

Registered
Just turned on my computer and the BIOS said my CPU was at around 48 C, is this normal or is this too hot?

I have an Athlon XP 2500+ cooled by an SK7. This is my first build so I don't know, and it's prolly likely i messed up somewhere.

It's a little warm however it depends on the cfm of your fan. What fan are you using? Specs such as cfm would help us evaluate the performance of your HSF. A couple things you'll want to check are:

1) TIM (thermal interface material) is the good stuff e.g. Arctic Silver 3, AS Ceramique, etc. and is applied as a very thin layer e.g. paper thin

2) Your fan is blowing into the HSF and not pulling air through it. Blowing is more effective than sucking.

~THT

I have an 80mm Thermaltake Smart Case Fan 2 (don't know cfm).

I applied some sort of TIM, which came with the SK7 when I ordered it, this prolly sounds bad but i really don't know what kind it is.

As for the fan, it is blowing down onto the HSF.

What does the cpu fan read rpm wise at these temperatures. The SCF2 is supposed to reach 4800 rpm at 55C on the probe. Try reading the tepmeratures with the fan on full speed.

i just turned it on again, and the CPU read only 46C now, the fan was at 4891 RPMs.

*it was only on for about 30 seconds though so that may be why it was slightly lower than before

i have an side fan blowing into the case right at the cpu, and blowhole on top blowing out, and and fan in the back blowing out (all 80mm)

i assume that's good ventilation, im prolly going to assume that i installed the cooler wrong? or maybe i didn't put the TIM on right?

My AT7-max2 rig has three inlet fans (1 side and 2 front including one to cool hard drive bays) and three outlets in the rear (includes power supply). I mention this because I am running my T-bred A 1800+ at the same 11x166 core clock as your barton and is probably producing about as much heat.

so should i just get more fans? my comp is already kinda noisy, i was hoping to get by with only one more fan in the front, but if u think i need more, i can get more

If you start reaching temps of upwards of 60C then its too hot. Isn't there a sticky somewhere saying this????

I took the heat sink off, cleaned off the TIM, and re-applied the TIM, i may have put too much on. My CPU now runs about 44-46C. I still plan on getting another fan so that will only help

! i wish i had 40=48

i get like 57-62 and i have 2(1 rear/1 side) fan blowing air into my valcano 9 heatsink/fan i put on arctic silver 3 properly i used a credit card to smooth it out.

system temp 30-38

People these days seem pretty scared of high temperatures AMDs are supposed to be safe up to 80 C if I remember correctyl. Also if your not going to OC those temps arent really a problem. If your system is stable dont sweat it, heck I had a P2 633 @ 750 that ran 65 C constantly and is still going after 4 years. Unless stability is affected or you go really high dont sweat (no pun intended) it.

I just got an SK-7. Read some of the threads about lapping the heatsink. i love my SK-7 but the bottom is really rough. Lapping lowered my temp by 2-3C.

yeah, i lapped my sk-7 before i put it back on, i think that really helped.

as for the heat, i just worry cuz my friend had 3 amd processors overheat on him, so i really don't feel like dishin' out an more green than i need to. Thanx to all for the help, i feel a little better now.

one more quick question, is the temps listed in the BIOS... are they idle or load temps?

Back