• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

75FRN-L over 200 fsb HDD corruption!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Josebmw

I usually run my my Soltek 75FRN-L v.1 board at 200, but now i was able to get it at 207 Mhz FSB sync. stable using Prime 95 and mem test. I turned off my computer, turned it on and find that I get the Blue Screen of Death.

"Unmontable Boot Volume"

That's just great!. It probably doesnt have the proper PCI clock dividers over 200 FSB, but does anyone else have this board that knows the problem?

I cant retrieve all the data i lost, using another 40 Gb HDD, this is sad, since my laptop also is overheating....bad luck...

Well I though they locked all that stuff so it wouldn't happen..Hmm.What bios you have?

You got aim or msn or somthing and maybe I can help on their?

I have the "CP geek" modded 1.4 bios. The only difference from the C1.3L bios is the vdd option and a correction for the MAC address for the onboard 10/100 port. I doubt that has anything to do with the ability to lock the PCI clock. Above 40 Mhz HDD corruption occurs. I dont know what soltek did, since there is no PCI clock option in any of the versions of the BIOS, so yea. The only thing that can be done is format the HDD and install windows, since nothing can be retrieved from my 40 Gb to the corrupted 120 Gb maxtor, it gives me a message telling me "The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable"

Thanks for the help, it just shoudn't happen since many nforce2 motherboards can go 200+ fsb with no problems.

A friend got the same message using a MSI nforce2 non ultra 400 board. They have so many problems...ridiculous how they ever got in the market. Ultra 400 chipsets seem to work alot better with 200+ fsb. Even my secondary IDE is dead misteriously...and there are plenty of IRQ problems.

I went straight to 12.5 X 176 right out of the box with stock cooler. CPU TEMP 46 under load w/open case @ 1.65 volts default and one stick of PC2700 (temporary), and it's rock solid stable for 2 days now.
SL-75FRN2-RL BARTON 2500+ (AQXDA)

The only problem that I encountered was the CD driver kept disappearing half way thru the installation of WIN XP PRO on a freshly formatted drive, of course this drove me nuts after about 4 failed installations and swapping CD drives 3 times.......20 to 30 minutes into the install the CD driver and drive would disappear and could not be accessed.
Finally I simply copied the entire cd to the hard drive so I could complete the install.
I plan to push it a lot further after I complete my home built phase change.
I must say this board is very stable and easy to overclock.......good bye EPOX!:D

Last edited:
The SL-75FRN2-RL ultra 400 is a much better motherboard than the SL-75FRN-L. You got a good barton, if it can do 2200 Mhz @ default voltage. My AQXEA 0324 needs 1.75v to get to about 2240 MHz, it's supposed to do better....I thought Epox made great oc'ing nforce2 motherboards with many BIOS options?

Josebmw said:
The SL-75FRN2-RL ultra 400 is a much better motherboard than the SL-75FRN-L. You got a good barton, if it can do 2200 Mhz @ default voltage. My AQXEA 0324 needs 1.75v to get to about 2240 MHz, it's supposed to do better....I thought Epox made great oc'ing nforce2 motherboards with many BIOS options?

That is true, the Epox boards are easy to overclock but I don't think they come close to the stability I am seeing with the SOLTEK, I was getting hard drive corruption at anything over 152 FSB with my Epox w/ the same stick of memory that I have on the SOLTEK board. I can't wait to see what it will do with some CORSAIR or MUSHKIN and a little more voltage, I'm goimg to let it run at 2200 until my video card (on the way) and memory arrives, spent well over $300 this weekend so my memory is at least a week away.:(

Josebmw said:

Yes.......I use to swear by Epox but I don't think it comes close to the stability that I am seeing with this board. I would get hard drive corruption on my Epox at anything over 152 FSB with the same stick of memory that I currently have on the SOLTEK board.
I plan to let it run at 2200 until I can get some CORSAIR or MUSHKIN, I spent over $300 this weekend so it's at least a week away, I can't wait to see what it will do with some 3500 and a little more voltage.

Last edited:
Which Epox motherboard do you have? Hardocp doesnt seem to like the Epox's EP-8RDA3+ overclocking ability, I was thinking of getting a Epox myself, which nforce2 ultra 400 from Epox go over 200+ stable?

This is something i didnt want to read ... ok so is there no pci locks on the soltek sl75frn2-L & -LR ? My msi kt4ultra corrupts when i hit 200 fsb and im not about to risk reformatting it again. For those of you out there with this board does it come with a HDD lock i could have sworn i saw one in the hard ocp review...

I need performance with maximum stability at a reasonable cost.

i can get around 10C at 2.1 and as high as 17C at 2.5.

The second revision boards with the SPP Ultra 400 chipset do, the first, dont (75FRN-L), going at 200+ fsb doesnt have a PCI lock. That is bebacuse they were made to run at 166 fsb, with PCI lock probably up to 200 fsb, soltek left the fsb open up to 211, which is strange...

I just took it up to 12.5 X 180 @ 1.75 volts and my temps dropped to 38 idle and 42 under load........not bad with stock cooler but the memory (pc 2700) is causing errors and holding me back so I guess I will have to be content with a Sandra PR rating of 3200 until I can get some good memory........

hey josebmw how high do you think the FSB can go... i am getting very low temps and i would like to be able to push processor a bit harder... i would like be able to run at 2.5-2.7 stable if my kingston will allow it.

Hmmm, that's a KT400a motherboard right? Do you have the Kingston Hyper X series or just the regular Kingston modules?. If you want to run at 2.5-2.7 Ghz stable, just raise the multiplier if you cant raise the fsb or the system is unstable. I dont know about this board's PCI lock, is there an option, when going to 200 fsb or more in the BIOS?

With the Soltek I believe it has the pci locked always..I don't think their are settings for it I just think it's locked. I may be wrong and please correct me if you find out otherwise!

Back