• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows installation service???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andy334

Ok there it is

Windows installer service could not be accessed.contact your support personal to veryfy that windows installer service is properly registered.
I had received this when I tried to remove (add remove programs) Retrospect 5.6
How can i uninstall program when this message appear???
I did try microsoft knowledge base article-315346 did not work
need help I have to uninstall Retrospect so my DRIVE IMAGE 7 will work,for now DRIVE IMAGE starts and than show error EOBB001B ,to fix this error I have to uninstall retrospect backup
Any help will be appreciated

:rolleyes:

You didn't mention which OS you're running, so I'll just assume it's XP. Give these few things a try...Start | Run | Type...

msiexec /unregister...and click OK

...then type:

msiexec /regserver...and click OK | Try again to uninstall your program from Add/Remove.

If you're running Pro, check your settings here...

Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc and hit OK | Expand the following branch...

Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows
Installer

Right click "Prohibit User Installs" and select "Properties" | Make sure it's set to either "Not Configured" (the default setting) or "Disabled".

Also, check the "Windows Installer" service...Start | Run | Type services.msc and hit OK | Right click "Windows Installer" and select "Properties" | Make sure the "Startup type" is set to "Manual". :)

Last edited:
thanks for response but it did nit helped,I can uninstall other programs but not RETROSPECT-- backup utility ,I'm running win2000pro,
i also can't install win tools 2000RKST(recovery console)
Would this have something to do with PS4 which was installed last week???

Try the following methods to fix "Windows Installer problems in Win2k and NT4"...

PRB: Incorrect Default DCOM Settings Cause Windows Installer to Stop Responding

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;319624

If that doesn't solve your problem, and you have MSI 2.0 installed, downgrade to version 1.1 (somewhat messy), and then install MSI 2.0 again...

Downgrading Windows Installer (Win2k):

http://desktopengineer.com/article.php?story=20020710141950674

You could also try re-registering the following files from the Run box...

regsvr32 msi.dll
regsvr32 msihnd.dll
msiexec.exe /regserver
...(to register the ActiveX EXE server).

Last edited:
Back