• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really odd problem with ASUS A7N8X and Barton 2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kurant

Well, since he's not here, I'll use him in the third person.

My buddy bought an A7N8X in a combo format from newegg. He got it home, the CPU with heatsink/fan was already sat into the board. Not sure if it shoulda been this way or not. Anyway, we plugged the board in, it worked. Great! Now for the wierd part.

I left as by now it's about 2am, he ended up flashing the bios that night. Now, he swears he downloaded the correct bios for the correct revision of the board, as in the A7N8X Deluxe. So that's all I have to go on. He called me the next morning, telling me the machine won't boot. I try to figure it out, no post, nothing.

He ends up calling Asus, returning the board to them. They fixed it, supposedy. He went out, and for ****z and giggles, buys another Barton 2500+.... Guess what? Yeah, you guessed, straight from Asus the board doesn't work. So he's ****ed. He takes an XP 1800, tries it on the board. Wallah, it posts, boots, everything works.

Well, WTF gives here? We put the Barton back on, no post, black screen, not even video init. We tried both Bartons in my machine, they work. The memory in my machine, it worked. My memory in his machine, no go. My 2500+ in his machine, no go. The 1800 in my machine worked. In his machine worked.

Any ideas? All I can think of is a piece of hardware, or voltage, or somthing, I have absolutley no idea. Asus coulden't have put a barton 2500 on this board. We've tried 3 of them, all working chips. None worked on this board.

ANY Help is appreciated. Sorry it was so long.

Thanks

Joe.

I would double check with Asus to ensure that your friends' combination of board revision and BIOS version supports the Barton 2500+ chip. If, as best you can tell, it should, this would be an RMA candidate if possible. If not, then you're relegated to TBred or earlier chips.

which version did he DL and install...the A7N8X Deluxe does support the 2500 barton...was it the 1004 or 1005?

Also...no the CPU and heatsink should not of came already attached to the MB...and what version of the A7N8X Deluxe is it?

Back