• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multi mod easy w/ K7S5A?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheSelfishGene

I have a 1.6v 1700XP+ with a rev 1.0 K7S5A and was wondering if i cut the L3 bridges on the CPU would there be anything else i would need to mod (such as the motherboard) or would that be sufficient for an overclock? I can softclock it to 1900-2000 (i haven't gone much further) and tho many ppl prefer FSB o/c's i have several older PCI hardware cards and my 2100 ddr memory is a couple years old and probably doesn't have the headroom for o/ci'ing as would newer mem. I understand that i would have to mod the voltage if i went much higher but i was thinking 1900-2000 ranged (i supposed probably 1.5-2x multipliers higher)

Does this sound doable and should i go about this a certain way? Once you cut the bridge is 'cut' so how can i test the CPU's 'true' capacity beforehand given the limitations of my board and components? Or should i just be content with a modest 2000 or so o/c? I have a very nice fan so heat shouldn't be a problem at all.

I have a 1700+ which I have blown the 2nd 3rd and 5th L3 to give me a 14 multiplier. I used a fan header off my motherboard and attached a sewing needle to the ends of the wires so I could accurately touch both ends of the bridge. Works great!

You could use the wire mod also. Check out this site, it has all the info you need for both of these mods and a few more.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/workshop.html

I did the wire mod which seemed much safer than blowing bridges. Changed the multiplier on a 2100B from 13 to 16.5 upping the 1733 normal speed to 2280 at 16.5x138. I also upped the voltage to 1.85v using the wire trick.

It's fiddly especially with the mobo still in the case but at least it's not a permanent change.

Back