• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1u heatsink in atx case...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AdvanS13

i just wanted to ask, would it be ok to use a 1u heatsink or the slim type be ok in a regular atx case? just curious....would they cool as good? or would the temps be higher?

again just curious to here the responses.

The temps would be higher.

Check the heatsink ratings on the front page.

The best U1 has a C/W of .56
The Best other has a C/W of .22

That is a very significant difference.

Would it be OK...probably, if you had very good case airflow and no overclock. Overclocking would not be an option.

Why would you want to do this? A very good heatsink only costs $20-$40, not much more than a u1 heatsink (sometimes less!).

kct2 said:
Why would you want to do this? A very good heatsink only costs $20-$40, not much more than a u1 heatsink (sometimes less!).

read carefully :)...it says i was just curious. wanted to hear the responses, and the temp differences...never planned on doing it. if i did, i wouldn't be overclocking:D

I did read carefully...I knew you were just curious. That is why the line quoted was not the only part of my response.

If you took to time to read the page linked you would learn what C/W means and what the temperature difference would be.

Here is the link for the best U1 test: link

and the best regular HSF test: link

I'm sure you didn't read both in the 3 minutes between our posts.

You could always add a 38mm fan (2-3X the CFM) on top of the 1U and it will cool much better that is if your looking for a real small cooler I did this for a mini system I built a while back (I even had to cut the sink to make room for a cap on the mobo)

Whether it will cool "well enough" will depend on your individual circumstances and opinion of what "well enough" is.

It could very easily work. No 1U cooler will work as well as a standard heatsink of similar construction, but if you are indeed space constrained, it could be a worthwhile solution.

here are 2 pics of the evercool 1U cooler first pic is of the H/S after I cut it on the band saw (it was to soft for the vise on the mill) and the second shows it with the fan (2X the CFM of the stock one) still lower than the memory

30942144.jpg

30942142.jpg

This set up is on a P3 Tulley chip and it kept it plenty cool I don't have # anymore and no longer have access to the mini rig

Back