• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Carbon Black Experiment?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitehat_optix

Registered
Should I do a test of AS3 and Carbon Black ?

What are your coments? I have a few tools to do it with, and I can aquire the materials.

I will write an article if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
you sure you can make the paste properly? =d im sure they did something to the mentioned carbon black that you prob have no clue of. Just cuz someone listed the ingredients doesnt mean you can reproduce it =d you gotta get the quanity and also the means of production =d just mixing the stuff together aint gonna get you carbon black.

plus it'd be pretty crazy to test that shti on your cpu. if your mixture was bad or doesnt work at all you'll toast your cpu =d

cherryp00t said:
you sure you can make the paste properly? =d im sure they did something to the mentioned carbon black that you prob have no clue of. Just cuz someone listed the ingredients doesnt mean you can reproduce it =d you gotta get the quanity and also the means of production =d just mixing the stuff together aint gonna get you carbon black.

plus it'd be pretty crazy to test that shti on your cpu. if your mixture was bad or doesnt work at all you'll toast your cpu =d

Careful, intentionally trying to undermind the swear filter makes the gods very angry.

either you come for a very religious family or you must think the english language is very dirty. First off i wasnt trying to undermine anything it was a typo and i didnt care to look back to correct nothing. And I believed that what i typed was not in anyway swearing =d I dont feel like being scientifically correct everytime i post on a forum and have to spell feces plus it doesnt sound the same =d

Umm... this paste should be easy to make. It's just carbon black inside of a suspension fluid to make it less conductive and easier to manage. I say go for it.

Deffinately, i'd like to see how a home brew carbon paste compares to the current commercial ones. If it gets me a degree or two i'd mix some up.

Just reading the research papaer on the carbon black compounds and they give the materials used (and the supplier for them) as well as what mixtures they used. Unfortunately the complexity of the read will have me reading over it a few times before i fully understand how to make some.

Last edited:
Heck, I just finished writing a letter asking for a sample of it and if that was unobtainable then I want to know how if there is any big trick to making it...does anyone know how patients work by any chance...I want to make a bunch of it and sell it...to the world

I posted a link in the "Front Page Discussions" area on this that goes into the Carbon Black properties

I just found it on the web (dry) for a $1/lb size n220 my be worth the $1 to test it in paste and epoxy here is more information on carbon black http://www.cancarb.com/manual31.html
things to remember
1) there are many sizes of Carbon Black
2) it is very conductive (better doing this on a simulated die of some sort)
3) it is cheap to do and should be easy to make (even if just blended with other thermal pastes to see if it improves them / I will be doing that as well;))

Last edited:
It is patented, and because this is Dr. Chung's pet experiment I really wouldn't fool around with trying to circumvent the patent office if I were you :) You could probably make it on your own though - don't think she'll have samples just yet. I might just wait for it to come out to play it safe, it shouldn't be too long. Plus, who knows what happens if you mix it up wrong.

3) it is cheap to do and should be easy to make (even if just blended with other thermal pastes to see if it improves them / I will be doing that as well;)) [/B]

Also, I really wouldn't blend it with other pastes - the reason this works so well is because the only filler is carbon black, which is compressible and porous. Putting it in AS3 could result in worse performance.

I was thinking more about DOW and mixing it to the point it was only there to hold it together (maybe 60-70% Carbon Black)

OK, I'll give it a go. I understand the concerns about the patents, but i won't give out any "samples" so it should be ok.

I was planning on using it on an old CPU just to test the stuff out.

Yeah, I read up on it over the weekend. Actually, rubbing alchohol is by far more dangerous than this stuff. Just look under your sink and find something, it will probably be more dangerous.

Remember a varient of Carbon Black is used to filter your drinking water.

with the p3 and p4, it'll be pretty hard to fry it. THG(i know;)) tested both cpu's while running and they took off the HSF and both slowed down performance but didnt blow up, unlike the amd's

I have no problem with trying to make some of this stuff, If I knew where to get the chemicals in small quantities.

Carbon Black: Vulcan XC72R GP-3820
polyethylene glycol: PEG 400

Does anybody know where to get this stuff?

As far as the safety of PEG 400 goes I would not recommend drinking the stuff unless you intend on staying on the toilet for a couple of days. It is the stuff you drink the night before a colonoscopy. But instead of worrying about the safety to you, wouldn't it be better to worry about the safety to your processor?

PEG happens to be the ingredient that evaporates out of arctic silver in the first couple of days. I spent about twenty minutes on the phone earlier with Nevin and confirmed this fact. Any thermal compound composed primarily of PEG will evaporate off your processor in a day or so and leave you unprotected.

Also, if you read the research paper that is linked in the article, you would see that she found that if she used anything greater than 1.25% carbon black by volume performance decreases. If you just mix it until it is pasty, you will end up with something that will be worse than useless.

But wait, I am not done yet!

The emperor has no clothes!!!

If you read the article you should notice that she is comparing her compound to nickle (among other more exotic compounds that there is limited data for). Why would she compare it with nickle? Ever seen a heat sink made of nickle? No you haven't and the reason why is that nickle is worse than carbon as far as thermal conductivity. Heat sinks are made from either copper or alumminium because those are the cheapest metals that have any decent thermal properties at all.

Here is a link to a table of thermal conductivity of the various elements.

As you can see, carbon is a terrible choice for heat transfer. Yes nickle is worse but not by much. Silver and gold would be even better than copper but who is going to pay over $200 for two pounds of silver to cool a $75 processor?

For the fledging scientists out there, there is one truth that still holds its own in the world of thermal dynamics: Pressure equals conductivity. If this stuff is all Dr Chung says it can be, why hasn't someone else jumped all over it? and why hasn't the "Big Three" (Dell, Compaq, and Gateway) been able to come out with something of their own? Because the Overclocking world is killing their buisness (as well it should). Personally, I think the Overclocking world needs a wake up call as to who runs what. A man once told me, there isn't something bieng done now that couldn't have been done 20 years ago. The thermal paste you get at radio shack is no different than what they were selling 20 or more years ago. why do some people still use it? because it still works. end of story.....

Back