• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MP or XP for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitehat_optix

Registered
will the MP chip work in a non smp board as a single processor?

I need a 2100+ Palomino and i have found several MP's but no XP's. I was wondering if the MP will overclock like the XP if it will run in my GA-7zx board, or my KK266.

There was a thread awhile back where they basically said to stay away from the MP...

MP = XP with a L5 bridge closed + lots of markup.

MPs are essentially SMP-enabled XPs but why do you want to run it in a single proc board?

Really what i think is that it is not worht it to get an MP just becuase it overclocks better. Yes you can put an MP in a sinlge processor board. Unless you already have an MP or found some ourageuse deal on one, IMHO it really is not worth it to just buy an MP to run it in a single board. Mp's are bassicllay XP's with just the last L5 bridge closed, thats what allows then to run in SMP mode. If you want cheap better MP's just get a nice XP and close the last L5 and there it is, MP. But doing that voids your warrantie. As for overclocking, you do NOT want a Palimino core! try to stay away from the tbred A as well. 2100 Palimino's only o/c to 1830 Mhz. a 2200 tbred a will go to about 1950 or 2000 Mhz and a 2100 Tbred B will get you close to 2.5. The tbred B is much better than A overclocking/temp wise ;)

The board that I have Won't support a .13u chip, and i have a serious investment in Sdram (1.5 GB of 150 Cas2)

Now that I know the MP will work, what is everyone;s probelm with MP's?

You can get a Palomino XP and unlock one for a fraction of the cost of an MP; that's the major compelling reason not to get one. If all you can come by is an MP, though, then by all means go for it, as its not going to be inferior in any way.

Back