• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC3200 Memory Prices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speed_Mechanic

Registered
I've checked the prices of most of the differant "performance-ddr" memory manufacturers/assemblers, and I would like to know your all's opinion on which would be best buy.

512MB (1 DIMM)
Corsair XMS C2-Series (2-3-3-6) - $128 (AccuPC.Com)
Corsair XMS LL-Series (2-3-2-6) - $156 (NewEgg.Com)
Crucial PC3200 (CL 3) - $95 (Crucial.Com)
GeIL Golden Dragon (2-3-3-6) - $100 (IBuyXG.Com)
GeIL Ultra-Series (2.5-3-3-6) - $ 87 (IBuyXG.Com)
KingMax PC3200 (CL 2.5) - $85 (Komusa.Com)
Kingston HyperX (2-3-2-6) - $109 (IBuyXG.Com) (next lowest - $124 @ AccuPC.Com)
OCZ EL DDR (2-3-2-6) - $135 (GameVE.Com)
OCZ EL DDR Platinum-Series (2-3-2-5) - $145 (IBuyXG.Com)

Mushkin Best-Buy Series (2.5-4-4) - $105 (BestBuy.Com)
BestBuy Series - Early Batch Black-Line PC3200, using high timings (2.5-4-4) but same chips as Black-Line (so should be capable of 2-3-2).
(What Chips did the very first Mushkin PC3200 Black-Line use? Did they use WinBond BH-5 chips? If so, then good deal?)

2x256MB (2 DIMM)
Mushkin Black-Line Level 2 (2-2-2) - $148 (Mushkin.Com)
Mushkin Black-Line Level 1 (2-3-2) - $128 (Mushkin.Com)

2x512MB (2 DIMM)
Corsair XMS C2-Series (2-3-3-6) - $260 (NewEgg.Com)
Kingston HyperX (2-3-2-6) - $248 (AccuPC.Com)

I've just gathered this list to try to find out which is best memory for it's price. These prices are current as of noon today (Sunday, 8-3-03). Some prices (mostly those at Mushkin.Com) will not be current later this week (after today), so if anyone on today can help me decide which one to buy :)

Mushkin or hyperX look like the way to go at the moment.

Don't rule out something like Buffalo.
These are inexpensive, fast modules that have become popular around here.

I wouldn't go cheap on ram no matter what you do. Go for the Mushkin 3500 lvl2 black. If you don't want to go that high then at least get the 3200 lvl2 black thats on sale with free shipping. Either way get the Mushkin so its 222 stock so it can be rma'd if it doesn't run that settings

This stuff is cheaper than everything else, and proven to be just about the most reliable overclocker there is. You can expect it to outperform all the others. Even though it has "inferior" CH-5 chips, it can still do DDR466@ CAS2 without breaking a sweat.

My Thoughts

I don't think buying any of these $100+ memory can be considered going cheap. I have a 512MB K-Byte PC2700 that cost $40 AR (Elixor Chips), but all the one's I listed use high-quality chips.

If I can get assured BH-5 chips from something besides Mushkin Black-LVL2, and for less, then that would be the way to go.

I've seen some not-so-good reviews of Buffalo and TwinMos CH-5 chip memory, as well as the many bad-stories from using Corsair on Abit IS/IC7 boards. So I'm not to enthusiastic about spending $90-130 on CH-5 chip memory.

GeIL is the black-eyed overclocking memory maker. They build mostly to the high-end community yet have a bad rep. I, for one, am very interested in the technology in their Golden Dragon series, as well as their strides in chip production.

But my biggest question of all is about that Best Buy deal. I would like to find out what chips are on their Mushkin PC3200. From the Mushkin boards I've learned that it was "early-batch" stuff set to a ultra-conservative timing, but using the same chips as later Black-Line PC3200. I don't know this for sure, but wasn't most PC3200, especially Mushkin, using BH-5 chips on all their high-end memory before the current shortage?
$105 for 512MB BH-5 memory sounds like a good deal, no?

Last edited:
Re: My Thoughts

Speed_Mechanic said:
If I can get assured BH-5 chips from something besides Mushkin Black-LVL2, and for less, then that would be the way to go.

Certainly, there isn't anyone who does want that, but it's just not the case. BH-5 chips are in low supply and high demand, the fact that even Mushkin has them is surprising. Besides, Mushkin has to pay a hefty premium on these chips as well.

Unfortunately, if you want BH-5 at the moment, you're going to have to pay the premium for it, settle for CH-5 or find someone willing to give up their BH-5 modules. Even in the latter case, you may end up paying the same amount of money.

Phalanx28

So as a new member you ask a question but don't like the replies so you bash it? In that case I will answer like everyone else would, use the search button you will find help there.

Go with the Mushkin PC3200 Black Level 2. 2 X 256 will run you $148, then don't forget to use coupon code SUMMERDDR for 10% off to bring your total to $133.20, which is a great deal for this RAM.

What system this memory is going into also makes a difference. The new Intel 875/865 chipsets are much more picky than others. Anything that uses BH-5 IC's are PC3200 memory. If they're selling it as anything more, it's o/c'd. Twinmos and OCZ are the only 2 companies now that I know of that are using faster IC's (4.3ns and 4.5ns respectively)

The CH-5 IC's work well with most AMD boards but not as well on the newer Intel boards.

-Bobby

On a Abit IS7 (w/ BIOS 15) and a 2.4C processor.

I'm looking at 2x256MB Mushkin Black LVL2 - $132.20 ($25 higher then most of rest :\ )
or that Best Buy 512MB Mushkin Deal - $105

or how well does 512MB GeIL Golden Dragon PC3200 run? - $100

or 512MB KingMax PC3200 @ Komusa.Com (Has anyone dealt with them?) - $85

or 512MB Kingston Hyper-X PC3200 (CH-5 Chip?) for $109 at Komusa.Com.

Has anyone dealt with Komusa.Com? In their Kingston deal, they seem to undersell their closest competetors (AccuPC has it - $124) by $10-15

i just picked up 2x256 of hyper-x at bestbuy for $50 each after rebate, $65 out the door. currently at 230 fsb. this kingston is rockin!

Paying the most doesn't necessarily mean you're getting the best. Also, not all memory o/c the same so one person with a pair of HyperX could do much better than another pair of the same speed.

I'm assuming those Muskins are PC3200 modules?

-Bobby

Mushkin's $25-off sale on PC3200 Black-LVL2 memory is to be over by the end of this weekend, so their $133.20 for 2x256MB (not duel-channel guaranteed) ends today.

The variance between memory is what makes buying memory most frusterating. You can try to limit the variance by knowing the chip and even the date/location of when memory was made but even that doesn't prevent it.

Crucial's CL3 memory has in reviews outperformed both Corsair and Mushkin memory when set to a timing of 2-2-2-5. While during many other occasions, people have complained about being able to lower their Crucial CL3 memory's timing 1 bit (stock is JEDEC-complient 3-4-4-8). Others have seen results inbetween stock-like 3-4-3-7 and best-of 2-2-2-5 at 200MHz.

Corsair's memory is also a hit-and-miss right now with the latest Springdale boards. GeIL seems to be in the same situation, albeit with a much worse off reputation. OCZ and Mushkin are giving guarantees of low timings, but with a much higher cost.

KingMax performed excellant in TweakTown's DDR400 round-up, getting a higher rating then Corsair or Mushkin, but is pretty much in-the-dark as for personal expirences shared on any boards (at least I havn't seen many).

Have you considered Samsung PC2700? It is quite capable of 200 5-2-2-2, and still higher, and is half the cost of all the others that you mentioned.

I've heard some bad tales about Samsung memory. I also don't know what chips they use. I am pretty sure (just shy of positive) that they do make their own chips, but I've heard of several people who bought Samsung memory with cheaper chips. 200MHz at 2-2-2-5 is excellant, but like Crucial it seems to be hit-or-miss between getting 2-2-2-5 speeds or being stuck with JEDEC standards.

Don't be too suprised if your PC3200 doesn't o/c well. Most companies are binning their PC3200 IC's so they can sell PC3500/3700 modules wich are o/c'd 3200 memory.

Timings on the new Intel boards aren't as important as it is on the older Intels and AMD boards. You'll never get memory to run Ras to Cas (tRCD) to run any lower than 3. The much faster fsb makes up for the looser timings.

I ordered Twinmos PC3700's with 4.3ns IC's which are true PC3700 modules.

-Bobby

So then, 512MB PC3200 Crucial (1 DIMM) for $95 would be good? Crucial is one company that you don't have to worry about holding back the best chips for higher-rated DDR. Has anyone heard of any specifically bad expiriences for Crucial PC3200 happening lately?

Accordingly, Mushkin is known to "promise" 2-2-2 timings at 200Mhz with their Black-LVL2 DDR. They also "promise" BH-5 chips, I'm pretty sure that it's along the whole Black-LVL2 line, but if it's only Duel-Packs someone pls let me know :0. The $132.20 offer isn't going to last long (only for today in fact). This stuff is about 30% over my budget, so I would want to be positive its worth it before buying it at last possible moment :)

And does anyone else think that GeIL Golden Dragon PC3200 would be a good buy at $100?

I think wannaoc has a point. You don't want to hear anything but reassurances on what you've already decided. Go for what you're comfortable with and good luck o/c'ing it.

-Bobby

:0 I'm not trying to put off anything of what anybody is saying. I'm reading it all and putting my feelings about it.

I've heard alot of ppl, on this thread and others, to just go and get Corsair. It's a proven memory and it's been top-dog for a while now. But when you start looking at the cost side of things, you find out that, with current promotions, Mushkin memory costs the same as Corsair. My earlier price list did not take into account Mushkin's 10% discount for all DDR this summer.

Here's a comparison: (which some might find useful)
PC3500/PC3700 512MB (1 DIMM)
Mushkin Black-LVL2 PC3500 (2-2-2) - $179 (BH-5?)
Mushkin Black LVL1 PC3500 (2-3-3) - $143 (???)
Corsair XMS C2 PC3500 (2-3-3) - $176 (CH-5?)
Corsair XMS LL PC3700 (3-4-4) - $162 (???)

PC3200 512MB (1 DIMM)
Mushkin Black-LVL2 PC3200 (2-2-2) - $175.5 (BH-5)
Mushkin Black-LVL1 PC3200 (2-3-2) - $135
Corsair XMS LL PC3200 (2-3-2) - $156
Corsair XMS C2 PC3200 (2-3-3) - $129
all prices are either Mushkin.Com or NewEgg.Com - valid 8-3-03

The reason I don't go out and buy what I'm comfortable with is that I'm not comfortable :) I'm really split between 3 makers, though I'm prolly sure that I can't really go wrong with any (except maybe GeIL?). I'm strought between $115/$133 for 2x256MB (I really want 1 512MB, though don't ask me why :p) Mushkin Black LVL1/LVL2 PC3200, or $100 for GeIL Golden Dragon PC3200, or $85/$95 for KingMax/Crucial PC3200.

Back