• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory dividers..where to start?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_shell

Registered
I have a 2.4C P4 running at stock 200 mhz.

The mobo is a Abit IC7-G with the latest Bios.

I want to start to OC the CPU but was unsure where to start with the memory divider. Right now it's at 1:1 and my options are 5/4 and 3/2.

I am running two sticks of 512mb Corsair XMS PC3500 at 2-5-3-2 which is the most aggresive timing that is stable under Prime95.
The Vdimm is at 2.65.

My Vcore is still set to default. I was planning to start to increase the FSB in increments of 5 mhz. Right now the multiplier is set to 1:1. I think I can get the CPU to at most 270 mhz.

I am using an Alpa Pal heatsink and a Blue LED fan ny antec on the CPU.

My question is when do I need to change the memory divider manually ( or do I even have to .. is it automaatic?)

I was palnning on incrementing 5 mhz at atime and testing the FSB to see it was stable... right now the memory divider is at
1:1. When does the memory divider need to be increased to 5:4
with the overclock process?

As always thanks for any help and advice! :)

You'll find the settings for your memory dividers in your Bios.... 1:1, 5:5, and 3:2 are usually the defaults available in most memory Bioses. If you're running stock with DDR 200 mhz PC3200 and a 200 mhz FSB then the default is 1:1.

If you're going to overclock and you're going to run your FSB and memory out of spec then you usually need to increase you're dividre to something like 5:4 so that your memory dosn't run to fast. At 1:1 you're FSB and memory are running at the same speed. If you left your memory divider at 1:1 and increased your FSB to 270 , your memory would crap out b/c It would most likeley not be able to run at that speed.

Back