• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp2200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GH056

Registered
HELP!!! OC an Xp2200+ A Core

Hey everyone hopefully you can help me out.

I have an Aopen AK77-400Max board with an Athlon XP 2200+ Build A. I've been trying everything to overclock this thing and am getting no where. I want to go up to a 166FSB and everytime I do I get no post. I have tried upping the CPU Voltage and lowering the multiplier even down to a 5x. Whenever I change the FSB to 166 get no post. I can go to 160FSB with my multiplier down to 5 or 6 no problme but as soon as I get to the 166 nothin happens. I have tried unplugging my PCI Audigy with no luck. Tried different video cards and even different RAM. Drivin me bonkers, so if anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks alot

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that mobo, but here's a shot in the dark. Your mobo has the via KT400A chipset so it does support the 1/5 divider and 166fsb. Check your manual. It there a dipswitch or some jumpers that you have to move to activate the 1/5 divider and 166fsb? When you set the fsb to 166, what is your pci frequency at? It should be at 33 if you have the 1/5 divider. If you're still using the 1/4 divider it'll be 41.5 and that'll crash your system. Also, what type of ram are you using, it should be pc2700 or better to do 166fsb. Hope that helps.

Hey Duner

I am using Kingston PC2700 512. There isn't a switch on the board and from what I read if I don't have the divider then going to 166 won't affect the PCI. I can't see the PCI freq becuase if I go to 166 then i get no post or video whatsoever. Thanks for helpin me out I know I can get alot out of this processor just not usre how. Other thing do I have to unlock the CPU with the bridges???

I just read a review on that mobo and they said that there are jumpers between the ide connectors and the dimm slots. These jumpers are used to select fsb speed. Check your manual again and look for the proper settings for those jumpers.

the KT400A chipset uses dividers so your pci/agp frequencies will always change when you change fsb. what I THINK is happening is that you have the jumpers set to 133 fsb and that defaults your mobo to the 1/4 divider. When you go up the 166 fsb your pci/agp frequencies are crashing your computer. Again this is only a theory, but it does sound like your problem.

WRT the unlocking. Tbreds come unlocked and you've already said that you can get it to boot with a low 5 or 6 multi and a 160 fsb so your multi's are obviously already unlocked.

Try it out and let me know how it works for you.

Must have misunderstood your previous post sorry about that. Yes there are 4 jumpers there 1-100-2-133-3-166-4-200. I am on the 133 jumper and it is fine but as soon as i move the jumper up 1 to go to 166 then I get no post. I have tried upping the CPU voltage and stuff first then upping the jumper to no avail. What you are saying makes sense I think I am missing something simple. Thanks alot for the help.

Hmmm, You've got me stumped then. The last thing I can think of at the moment is to clear cmos after setting the jumper to 166.

I'm hearing your pain with your setup... btw your board is good enough to do some oc'ing within limits.. but it's your 2200xp that has been doing you in. You might be able to get about 100mhz more +/- 50mhz from your setup... You won't be able to run that cpu on the 166FSB.... try with the same vcore, use the 133FSB, and tweak up the multiplier, one step at a time... start at default,
vcore... 14x133FSB and keep going untill you notice that you can't get into windows, at the multi/fsb up the vcore one step and see where that takes you... once you've max'd out your vcore than make sure you've annotated all your speeds... see where you can get to and up the fsb, lower the multi and see if that works out for you.

Thanks Alot Red Dawg.

Is is the 2200 thats holding me up or is it becuase it is an A Core and not a B core?? If it's the 2200 I will go and buy another processor to replace it. Should I go with a 2500 Barton or a 2400 Tbred?? I have heard 2400's are a pain in the arss to and I want to really OC this thing.

Thanks alot for the help everyone

Hey I just wanted to say thanks for the help. Here is an update on what I have so far.

145 FSB with a 13.5 multiplier at 1.750Core and it boots fine
146FSB with a 13.5 multiplier at 1.750Core and it boots fine but won't go to windows.
Upped the core to 1.775 and 1.80 with same result
145 FSB with 14x multiplier does the exact same thing POSTS fine but won't go to windows.

Any ideas??

I can feel your pain, I'm getting the same problems but different mobo.
If I set the mobo dip to 166fsb no post, so I have to set it at 133fsb then set the fsb to 166 in BIOS.
I'm currently running a 2400+ @ 13.0x166, but if I try to push the fsb up anymore, HDD corruption begins.:bang head
I haven't played with the voltages yet (waiting on a better cooler).

Back