• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing Stock Heatsink TIM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tok3n

Registered
Hi. You know that pinkish tacky TIM that comes with stock heatsinks? How do you safely remove that so something better can be used in place?

just take a towel whip it off then use some alcohol and clean up residue. usually when you whip the time off it just falls right off leaving nothing behind.. use alcohol to clean up tiny residue particles

This is that cheap stuff that comes already on the heatsink - like pink gum consistency. Hard to get off :(

If alcohol doesn't work for you, try some acetone or nail polish remover to clean your CPU and HSF...:D

It would probably come off easier if you run your rig at 100% for a couple hours to heat it up real good, then shut it down and the TIM should be more liquidy and should be easier to get off.

I scraped as much as I could off with a plastic edge (a lego plate if you must know :cool: ). Then I used this brush cleaner stuff I had around the house... it was a mix of acetone, xylene, various mineral spirits, and all sorts of brain-damage inducing chemical goodness. That took the rest of the thermal pad right off. I finished up with some alcohol.

Automotive Carb cleaner works on the dreaded pink bubble gum crud...Lots of elbow grease required...If it is like the stuff on a ATI 8500DV video card anyway...:)

RPM_Computing said:
Xacto Knife works for me and does not require much effort.
Razor blade going from upper corner down to lower corner then some nail polish remover and third a nice light lapping

well, since i had fired my rig up already with the stock compound, i used xylene to take it off the hsf and as for the core, i just used an Xacto and some dish soap :D

Back