• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Life

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LightningJR

One of the con's of OCing your CPU is HEAT. Now, people say OCing shortens the life of your CPU, is this because of the HEAT only, and if it is then if u OC and get stock temps (help of BETTER cooling) doesnt it means that u are not threatening the life of your CPU, that u will get the expected life when default clocked. Or is there more to it?

heat is one factor, overvolting is another, even if you keep your cpu cool overvolting could shorten its life, but its really tough to prove as cpus dont have a "im dying on this day" stamp on them

OVERVOLTING? lets say u didn't overvolt, so you mean that if you can keep STOCK temps when OCed your safe? But the CPU is performing FASTER than it's suppose to, heat isn't just one outcome of OCing, don't the CPU be more subjectable to WEAR & TEAR when OCed?

OVERVOLTING? :confused: lets say u didn't overvolt, so you mean that if you can keep STOCK temps when OCed your safe? But the CPU is performing FASTER than it's suppose to, heat isn't just one outcome of OCing, don't the CPU be more subjectable to WEAR & TEAR when OCed?

define "faster than it is supposed to"? just because it is marked as a 1700+ does not mean that it wasnt meant as a 2800+, supply and demand. assuming you did not overvolt,and did not run it at a speed where it was unstable, i imagine it would live just as long as if you didnt overclock

CPUs are supposed to last over 10yrs anyway. If it does shorten the length by say 50% most people are going to need a new CPU by that time anyway.

Electro-migration is believed to be the reason why OC'd chips die (and heat contribues to this).

So, OC'd Chip -> Produces More Heat -> Increases Electro-migration -> Hurts the chip -> Could eventually die.

Stupid flowchart way, but I think it gets the point with the least keystrokes... I hope :/

Back