• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory science

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mmills

Registered
I'm not looking for a recommendation, I'm hoping to get some idea of how to comparision shop for memory.

I've come across these odd terms:
CH-5 (seems to be related to TwinMOS, but what's that?)
BH-5 (seems to be what every company uses, then relabels)
BH-6 (seems to be something new?)
WinBond (the company that makes everything prior to relabeling?)
2100 (for 2.1 gig CPU's?)
2700 (an older marketing scheme for 2.7 gig CPU's)
3200 (etc...
3500 (3200 memory with new labels?)
3700 (special designs for people who can't budget?)

Maybe these is some scheme for 2100, 2700, etc...

I've noticed the label 'DDR400' and 'DDR466', which I assume means it can handle a FSB of 200 and 233 respectively. This makes sense, though DDR200 and DDR233 seems more appropriate. But, no one seems to quote these labels. Are they worthless?

I feel like I've learned a lot plugging through these forums, but it seems I've lost my memory! If there are some stickies revealing these mysteries, please let me know. I've tried use the search engine, but come up with little.

Mark

bh-6= winbond memory module bh-6, 6ns, good ocer in its day but slower than bh-5

ch-5, the new .13micron( i think) fab desin of winbond chips, reported to be cheaper to make but not as ocer friendly as bh-5

pc 1600=1.6gb/s max bandwidth
pc2100= 2.1gb/s max banwidth
pc2700= 2.7gb/s max bandwidth and so on and so forth

pc1600= 200 as in 200mhz fsb(ddr)
pc2100= 266 " " 266mhz fsb(ddr)
pc2700=333 333mhz fsb(ddr) and so on and so forth

edit, winbond is the best memory module maker right now afaik, they are used on the good buffalo, twinmos, corsair, ocz and geil sticks i think, if it has windond chips, particularly the b series, it will probably run faster than rated speed

Supertrucker,

Thanks!

Just to confirm, bh-5 is '5 nano-second' rated?

You mention that bh-5 is better for overclocking than ch-5. I haven't read much about over-clocking memory. With all the relabeling, it would seem the stuff chips are rated pretty close to what they can do.

For example, I don't see an industry of 'memory heat sinks' specially designed for over-clocking memory.

>pc1600= 200 as in 200mhz fsb(ddr)
>pc2100= 266 " " 266mhz fsb(ddr)
>pc2700=333 333mhz fsb(ddr) and so on and so forth

So the rule of thumb is 8 times one's FSB goal? If you want 8 time 400, get PC3200?

Is there anything special about the number 8?

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
well, if you have the cash, you should buy a little bit higher than your goal, you will always try to push it again later, and its better not to skimp on ram. we save all of the money we can overclocking all of the other parts of our computer so that we can blow it all on the best ram:D

Back