• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm to 80mm to 60mm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoomArse

120mm to 80mm to 60mm fan adapters

just outta curiosity, has anyone ever used an 80mm to 60mm fan adapter and then put a 120mm to 80mm fan adapter on top of it, thus putting a 120mm fan on a 60mm heatsink

im just curious to know if anyone has ever done it and how it performed

I don't think that it would work very well. The adapters for those fans are pretty sharp, and since the 120mm fan will push the great majority of its air from the outside, the air will be pushed directly down onto the adapter instead of down onto the heatsink. This would create loads of back pressure. The only way that this would work is if the adaptors had a very slight slope, but then the 120mm fan would be positioned very far away from the CPU. Maybe if you put the 120mm fan onto the side of your case as an intake, then custom made an adaptor the right length to the top of the heatsink using as much space as possible.
I hope that made some sense :-/

no one has thought about the weight issue or gravity when it comes to trying this.

those adapters are pretty long and pretty heavy.. attaching 2 of them together with a 120 mm would create alot of torque on the heatsink.. it will mostly likely snapp off the ziff socket wiht very lil effort so dont even mention trying to transport the case =d

cherry those fan adaptors are not heavy @ all i dont know what your talking about there made of thin plastic my mini mouse ways more than they do

they might be made of plastic and weigh nothing but it will create torque.. if you dont know what torque is. its the turning force around a center point.. even if the things weigh nothing.. 2 of them together are pretty long and a 120 mm fan is quite heavy.. thats creates alot of tension on the heatsink and socket... if you dont know what im takling about then you should prob look up a few works check out a lil physics.. the 120 mm fan will weigh alot if you only hold it at one end horizontally...

if you ever done exercises and tried to hold 10 lbs dumbell straight out horizontal from your shoulders you know that its pretty darn hard to do so.. thats torque

Airspeed is the only important measurement CFM dosn't really mean anything unless it's is passing through a specified area. Unfortunately airspeed is difficult to and rarely measured. Air temp is also a critical measurement for cooling. Airpressurew has some effect as does humidity but these are tiny compared to temp and airspeed.

Think about it this way.....you have a glass with a 60mm circumfrence (spelling??) and you add some adapters to give it a 120mm opening. What happens when you try to dump a bunch of water into the glass???? It overflows outside the 120mm hole cause there is too much water going in and not a big enough hole for it to flow through. I'm not sure if that makes any sense at all....I'm kinda tired.....but that is what came to my mind when I read this thread. I think it is nap time.

Going from 120 down to 60 would create a venturi effect. The venturi effect, will increase the air flow velocity and actually drop the temp of the air a bit. The volume would of course be less than running without the adapters, but it would still be significantly higher than a 60 or even an 80 and you get a slight dop in air temp in the process. the only two trade offs see to running a 120 would be as mentioned above, the weight/torque issue (brackets would serve well here especially if you're a lanner and travel with it a lot) and the power consuption as not only is running a 120 more power, it will draw even more when you restrict it. What i do is run a 120 in the case directly above the hsf and just let it stuff air behind the current fan on the heat sink. its a little less noisy than running adapters and still gives a sweet drop in temps. one example is one of my dedicated folders. It has an agoia 1600 @ 1780 and running a zalman flower alone without the fan mod gets me 43*C. after case modding and installing a panaflo 120 mm fan, my temps went down to 38* C and of course case/board temps dropped as well

Back