• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 66.5C to hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deptmaster

I'm setting up a new computer for a friend with a Barton 2500 running at 2800 with SLK-800 and the low speed panaflow 80mm (very low noise which is important to him). Used the burn in wizard with Si Sandra & it runs flawlessly but at the end of the test CPU monitor is hiting 66.5C.

Is this alittle too hot?

I could set it back to 2500 if i need to but I'd like to keep the extra speed if it's not going to be unstable. The only thing i worry about is 12 months from now when the system is not out of the box clean him having stability problems.

Thanks for the help,
Ian

You should download Prime95 and use that to test for stability. If it tests stably for 12 - 24hrs, and it is still that high of a temp, it is fine, but I wouldnt want it to go much higher than that. Those chips have a max temp od like 90C, so I wouldnt worry too much about it if it is stable. It may decrease the life span of the CPU to like 3 - 4yrs at the worst, but most people upgrade by then too.....

Most people would say don't go above 50 or 55 or 60 C, some suggest to ignore temperature and mainly base it on system stability.
I think these recommendations are fine.

Recently, I did some analysis and come up with something to let us think about. It may be good or may not be useful at all. It is based on both CPU clock frequency and temperature.

Links:
Some numbers to determine max CPU overclocking
Explanation

By combining clock frequency and temperature, the rule of thumb is:
- 10 MHz / C, at full load per 25 mV Vcore increase is about the break-even point for overclocking (point of diminishing return). 12 MHz / C for extreme cooling.
- Below 10 MHz / C is "easy" and economical for overclocking. 12 MHz / C for extreme cooling.
- Above 10 MHz / C becomes harder and harder to overclock. 12 MHz / C for extreme cooling.
- And 2-3 MHz / C at full load is the limit.

BTW, I am using an AMD stock HSF to test a setup with a Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C, at 2.3 GHz 1.75V, the CPU is running at 65+ C at full load. The fan is running at 3100 rpm, very quiet. For short term testing with close monitoring, it is OK.

The high temp may be due to the fan air flow is not enough. Get an adjustable high speed fan (such as ThermalTake SFII), whose fan speed (noise) can be lowered to acceptable level, or tune for lower CPU temperature at higher fan speed.

Last edited:
i def say remount that fan.. a slk-800 should no way be giving you temps in the 65's. Unmount lap is ncessary apply thin layer of As3/ceramique and try again =d i def think there is something wrong with the mount =d

what motherboard is that setup running on?......also make sure you put the slk800 on correctly.....ala the lip should be over the edge of the socket.....ie not touching any plastic on the socket..............and should be making contact all over the cpu die...(heatspreader).........did you use some sort of thermal
paste?.......ala artic silver or even that plain white gunk that comes with it should do fine.....good luck :D

Are your case temps also very high?

I know someone who reduced their CPU temps greately by leaving their case open in these hot summer days...

(It was either that or getting a louder fan.)

Try remounting the heatsink. What kind of thermal grease are you using? Also, are you using the sofware temperature monitor or a hardware one? (Some software ones can be a bit off). Even with the low panaflo the SLK ought to give you better temps than that...what's the ambient temperature in the room?

man I leave my ac on like all day heh.....BILLS SUCK!.....my room is like a refridgerator...but yeah....like c627627 says.....if you don't have the greatest case flow that could help dramaticly :D

if you told us your motherboard maker etc.....we could help you greatly.....I would say for sure flash the bios:D

I dont know man, that's pretty hot. Make sure you've got it mounted correctly, and make sure you've got good enough exhaust fans in the case, to get the hot air out. You might consider an intake fan as well. Doing this lowered my CPU temp a few degrees.

The temp itself is not dangerous. The issue at hand is that this is with a high cooling solution. No motherboard inaccuracy could overshoot it that far. It should be at 45°C or so at the most, regardless.

i have a similer problem with high temp

my motherboard tells me that the temp is like 56-58(celcius) isnt that kinda high, i new here but i've read around and saw that some people were getting like 10-12 celcius.

10-12 Celsius? That's only possible with some very extreme cooling solutions. No particular temperature range is dangerous in itself. As long as your rig runs stable, there is nothing to worry about.

56-58 is kinda high...but not to bad.....when I was usen my k7n2-L the on die temps where 60 at full load.....which I was told was the equivalent of 12 degrees higher then those with socket temp moitors........so sometimes there are reasons for those higher readings:D

Hey guys sorry i haven’t had a chance to respond till now.

The Motherboard is the Biostar M7NCG (rev1.4) and the case is one of the cooler master atc-600 cases. Obviously not the most ventilated situation but I didn't really build this one to be a great overclocker. Quietness and space were both considerations.

Temps seem hot but are very stable i don't know who well i can trust the motherboard sensor I'm using artic silver 3 paste.

Back