• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8rda+, guess I don't need Vdd mod - 229 fsb! What next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squeakygeek

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
Well, I got 200 fsb completely stock, and got 229 when I zip tied a 50mm fan to the NB stock heatsink, without vdd mod! Whats even better is my buffalotech ram, while the timings aren't anything to brag about (7-3-3-2.5), runs rock solid at 230! I was initially planning on doing the Vdd mod, but I guess I don't really need to, and I will NOT do the Vdimm mod, this is waay too nice of a motherboard to be cutting up. Who knows, maybe I will gain that 1mhz when I get active cooling on the SB and MOFSETS. ( I backed down to 200fsb until this happens.) I have ordered some Arctic Alumina epoxy. I have the MOFSETS figured out, but have a couple options on the SB. First, I can use this old Pentium heatsink/fan that I have. It is only 6mm tall, so if need be I can remove the fan to allow long pci cards to fit. I have 6 pci cards free, so this should never be a problem, but epoxy is permanent, and there's no way I'm sticking my mobo in the freezer. I also have an AMD K7 heatsink/fan (which I am saving just in case I decide to change out the stock NB heatsink), and I have a large, passive Pentium 60mhz heatsink.

I am asking for any comments/suggestions, especially on the following topics:

SB cooling

The NB sink feels cool. Any benifit to swapping sinks (w/ the k6-2 sink) or lapping?

Anyone think I can squeeze another 1mhz out without modding?

Anyone still think I should do the Vdd mod? :p

Will radio shack take back an opened potentiometer? (I know, it's an afterthought, but I'm never going to use the thing! Maybe when I get the cajones to mod my 9500 pro)

Thanks, people!

Am I the only one who jumps when I catch Prime95 spitting out another line out of the corner of my eye?

Last edited:
Isn't the volt mod for that motherboard just a little pencil line? or was that a different board?

EDIT:nvm its not, looks kinda hard... http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?32.255

So... I would put on a HS that is short enough not to interfere with PCI cards on the SB since it really doesn't get all THAT hot and for the Nb, it wouldn't hurt to add some more cooling would it?:D

nvm its not, looks kinda hard

It's not *that* hard, check out the Vdimm mod! http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?33.255
I was up to the challenge (Vdd mod), but decided it's not worth 1mhz.

I would put on a HS that is short enough not to interfere with PCI cards on the SB

Yeah, I like that idea especially, because I can put a 40mm fan on the hs until I do need those slots, which will probably never happen anyway

and for the Nb, it wouldn't hurt to add some more cooling would it?

you're absolutely right, but my question is, will that work really get me anything? (that 1mhz *would* be nice, if anyone thinks I can get it) The K6 heatsink is the perfect size, and I may be able to mod it to use the hs mounting holes, rather than resort to thermal epoxy. yuck.

I would mod it to use the mounting holes if you can and do it, I don't know if it will help since it doesn't even get really warm, it may though, its the next step so I sat do it:D

NB probably isn't getting warm because it's making bad contact with the chip. Atleast take that heatsink off and replace the stock TIM with some good stuff.

My 8RDA+ hits 229 w/o vdd, but it isn't entirely stable (especially since my apartment is always really hot). Also I'll run Prime95 for like 24 hours, then 3DMark in sync with MP3's playing and a ton of apps open before I'll call it stable. Stable for me is at 222MHz synch. I replaced stock cooler with an Iceberq and sinked MOSFETS. I haven't read of any really impressive FSB increase with 8RDA+ vdd mod, mainly because of the limitations of the voltage reg. I think. Personally my Iceberq doesn't even get really hot, but I'll probably lap the NB eventually anyway.

PS 229 is pretty damn good, but remember the SPP128 northbridge is intended for 200MHz operation ;)

229 is f'in amazing. I wouldn't touch your board. First if you mod your board will obviously void the warranty. 2nd, it is pretty obvious your signal to noise ration is outstanding, as that is what the vdd mod does, simprove your signal to noise ratio to allow for higher oc'ing. Some boards already come with a great signal to noise ratio, and it papears your is one of them. The VDD mod most likely will not improve your FSB much, if at all, IMO.

I have both the vdd mod and vdimm mod on my 8RDA Rev1.1 and it won't do 229 stable! I also have cooling on the mosfets, active cooling with a retail AMD HSF w/50mm fan on the nb, the nb heatsink on the SB, and 220 is about it @2.0v vdd so far.

Last edited:
Back