• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teck7

Registered
First off im delving into some info on my system so I can get better answers to my later questions - so due bear with me.

I got a thermal take (cheiftek based) a5000 window case. It’s great and allows for much more flexibility in my layout of wires and other items.

My hardware/setup specs are:
- A7v266e mobo
- xp2100 (tbread) @ 2100Mhz (15x140 1.650v) [can go to 16x150
(2400 MHz) 1.80v but heat is very unmanageable]
- Volcano9 hsf [copper inserted base; 80mm .70amp high cfm fan]
- Using as3 for thermal grease [yes thin almost clear layer]
- 512MB PC2100 (double bank; non-registered)
- 1x20GB Maxtor 1x40GB Maxtor *7200rpm both*
- Assus packaged - NVIDIA geforce 5200
- 2x80mm exhaust fans [rear] [.14amps each]
- 3x80mm intake fans [front/side] [.39amps each]
- 420w psu with dual fans [rear and bottom fan - over cpu - modded rear fan to a .39amp from .12amp]

Ok now my temps at [ac in my house but don’t reach my room]:
- Ambient temp is about 30c in my room (give or take)
case ambient temp: 31.6c
- Idle cpu temp: 48-50c, 53c on very hot days
- Full load: 55-57c , 60c on very hot days

Now iv ordered a Tt Aquarius2 with that dinky pump it comes with im not sure how my temps will vary. But my intentions are to get my case more silent and temps down by 10c or greater.

I plan to replace the 80mm fan on the radiator with a stronger .39amp one. This im told can get me a big difference in the operating temps.

However my questions are as follows:
- How would pump upgrades work and what are viable options for pumps that can be powered off a molex or the likes?
- What would be; if any - implications involved with upgrading the pump? (will my hoses pop off etc..?)
- I see mixed results on the water I should use - will spring water work fine?
- Tt ships with a water additive; should I use this or something else?

Im asking all this in advance as im new to water cooling itself; so any words of wisdom would be appreciated; secondly I know the reviews on the Aquarius2 are mixed but I bought it as an introduction to water cooling and for its easy setup/removal from a system....

Likewise this post is to feed me insight on how I may mod the Aquarius2 kit once it comes in.

Im sorry to say, the Aquarius II will probably help little, basically it isnt worth upgrading, since the price with a new pump would match a good kit. If you do this though you will get better temperatures.
-The pump on the TT aquarius is extremely slow. A Eheim 1046 should push many times more water.
-Do not use spring water, use Iodized water, basically water without minerals.
-The green water additive incluided should be good, use it!.
-Another thing you can do is place two fans "push pull", it will help with the temperatures if you place 1 fan in the other end.
-Another recommendation is dont use the reservoir, since it lowers pressure of the system, and that makes it get hotter.
-Make sure, if you are getting another pump, to get an adaptor, I think the tubing is 3/8" OD.

Back