• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a new mobo that is very cheap any idea's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rara

Registered
Just like the subject says I need a new mobo now im not really in to overclocking and such so I just need it to run normaly. Money IS an isusse.
I need it to be SDRAM (DDR would mean i would have to go out and buy a whole new set of ram and as i said before money is very tight)
It needs to be able to take, at lest a AMD athlon 900 (cant get a new CPU as that would mean more $$$, so im having to keep useing my old one)
Any surgestions would be great as I'm looking to buy within the next few weeks. Idealy what I would like is, something that will take my 900 but will also give me room to upgrade later on when I have more money.
forgive me if i sound like newbie in this post but I am one =)

Thanks for you time.

Hugs and kisses.

Rara

Ok I just found this mother board
ASUS A7N266-VM for $62 but it doesnt tell me what CPU it will take as a max im guessing it will take my 900 athlon but how much will it take? and is it any good?

Also i have another question if i buy a mother say in the USA will it work with the 240 volt system we use in the UK?

Last edited:
Here are the specifications for the ASUS A7N266-VM. According to them, this motherboard uses DDR memory. :(
It does support your Athlon however.

However, here is a list of many recommended Socket A motherboards that take SDRAM, straight from this forum. :)

As for upgradability, it is a problem somewhat with a Socket A motherboard using only SDRAM as your performance will always be hindered by the memory. I believe some Socket A motherboards have slots for both DDR and SDRAM, but I don't know of any personally. Also, there may be some incompatibilities with the Athlon XP, but I believe most of the motherboards mentioned in the 2nd URL will take the XP.

Also, I believe there will be no problem with the 240 volt system, as your power supply handles this.

Good Luck. :)

I think you can find what you need for like 20$.. not many boards run sdram, i think some ECS/PC Chips via boards will though.

ok guys i have around $160 dollors to spend now now this is what i found
Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra (Platinum) Socket A Motherboard with AMD XP 2000+ Processor for $139.99 then i can get 256 DDR RAM for $19.99 (with a rebate) now i know the RAM isnt the best going but i can live with it i dont run super fast games or anything.
What do you think abotu this mother board and CPU?

I believe that combo is good enough for your purposes, if you do a bit more searching, you could probably get even cheaper, motherboards made by ECS are often very cheap in terms of cost, and provide good enough stability as well.
Also, if you only absolutely have $160 to spend, keep in mind shipping costs from the USA --> UK and also the possibility of customs duties as well (They apply to me in Canada, not sure about the UK)

Back