• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Call me insane :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exodus00

Registered
I've lived with a Tornado for.. a good year and a half now.. i sleep with it on everynight.. but.. now that i'm getting this new power suppy (antec truecontrol 550W) I kinda wanna push my overclocking limits to the max..... dont want watercooling.... so aircooling is about it...and i want maximum airflow and that obviously comes from a 120mm...

so.. looking for the same db (as the 80mm Tornado) 120mm fan.. I stumbled across the 190CFM, 56DB Delta 120mm.... now.. how well would this work if i strapped a 120 > 80mm adaptor on my AX-7, and then ran the delta off of it?... how much backpressure would it cause..? and.. would the end result be worth the 30-35$ upgrade? thanx :) .. also weight issues too.. i know the AX-7 isn't exactly as large as its bigger brothers in the SLK series.. but its still a massive heatsink.. and to strap that vaccume cleaner on it would add more weight.. especially an inch out further... think it'd hold or would it be dangerous? portability is also a concern :) I'm a LANer

I would guess that it would create some back pressure. Since it doesnt mount throught the motherboard, and already weighs 600 grams with the 80mm tornado, you might have problems transporting it to Lan parties. A 120 x 38mm fan weighs at least twice, and with an adaptor it would put more weight on the cpu die. I would predict that using that 120mm screamer wouldnt make that much of a difference. Using the Tornado 80mm is already pushing it, you might see 2-4 C. drop, but aircooling does have limits.

you have a link to that fan....my 120 only pushes 50 cfm

i have 2 tornados too, but i have a rheobus:D

Is noise just... not an issue for you? The simple fact that I'm in a thread that MENTIONS the use of a delta 120mm is enough to give me a headache. To get a good idea of how those things sound, picture yourself lying mouth-open in a dentist chair with one of those high-speed drills whining at full-tilt, while his 13 dental hygenist/secretary-types are pushing 13 Hoover HurricanesAreForPansies vacuum cleaners around the floor, all the while looking up into the air as 50 Boeing 747's fly figure 8 patterns 100 feet above your face. Oh yeah, and a pit-bull is biting your feet because, well, hey don't look at me... it's your dream.

Delta's weren't named after an airline by mistake...

You might as well go water cooling if your willing to shell out for larger, more powerful fans just to see how well they cool. You'd be happier water cooling with more peace of mind. I'm sure a blood clot if forming near your ears as we speak

when i went to a 92mm tornado to replace the 80mm tornado, my cpu and system temps did drop a bit, so, it was great for extra air movement withing the case, but a peek at the core temps showed no actual increase in cooling...it was maybe 1c cooler at times, and no cooler at load...

IR1 said:
I think it will also cause bleeding ears...

Ah, another person experienced with these banshee fans.

Delta's are the Fran Drescher of annoying women...

They are the leading cause of deafness in the world today (for real!)

The put the LOUD in "Holy Crap, that's a LOUD fan!"

There was once a village in South Nambininia that worshiped and prayed to the Gods of noise. They erected granite idols in the form of Gilbert Godfrey. All was good in the land until the day that the National Geographic explorers arrived bearing gifts of snap-pops and Michael Bolton CDs. Things were going well with the expedition until they broke out their Delta© cooled laptops. After bearing witness to the pristine and tumultuous roar that this fan produced, they ascended into the unseen plane of existance where Hägen Das comes from. Simply put, they achieved nirvana.

The fans are LOUD. Use something ELSE.

vonkaar said:

Ah, another person experienced with these banshee fans.

Delta's are the Fran Drescher of annoying women...

They are the leading cause of deafness in the world today (for real!)

The put the LOUD in "Holy Crap, that's a LOUD fan!"

There was once a village in South Nambininia that worshiped and prayed to the Gods of noise. They erected granite idols in the form of Gilbert Godfrey. All was good in the land until the day that the National Geographic explorers arrived bearing gifts of snap-pops and Michael Bolton CDs. Things were going well with the expedition until they broke out their Delta© cooled laptops. After bearing witness to the pristine and tumultuous roar that this fan produced, they ascended into the unseen plane of existance where Hägen Das comes from. Simply put, they achieved nirvana.

The fans are LOUD. Use something ELSE.

Lmao, that is helarious.

well.. first off.. dentists dont scare me :).. drills and what not..

To get a good idea of how those things sound, picture yourself lying mouth-open in a dentist chair with one of those high-speed drills whining at full-tilt

second off.. i was just kinda curious at the performance benefits.. because I'm already living with the noise... so upgrading to something with comparable noise wouldn't be much of an issue.. but to have more CFM flow with the same decible level would definately be better.. but... as some of you said.. theres limits

prolly would be too heavy... thats the last thing I'd wanna see happen in my case is the fan to lift the heatsink off the cpu die, breaking the clips, and crashing through my vid card taking it out ... ehhh......:mad: .... nightmares already :D

as for watercooling, i've just seen so many horror stories with it.. and I do so much LANing, that its peace of mind knowing i'm running air through my system instead of a quart or so of water which reacts so nicely to the insane amount of money i've already dropped in this beast over the past year or so

that and i have the leadtek fx card.. which has the solid alluminum case around the card.. so gpu watercooling wouldn't even be doable.. and whats the point if i'm not hitting NB > GPU > CPU
.. gotta get all 3
;)

EDIT : if there was some way to stabalize the fan / adapter / heatsink ... has anyone seen those plastic adaptors that crea like a tornado wind effect as the air passes through it.. so the air hits all areas of the heatsink instad of slamming down straight in the center causing backpressue? i'll try to find a link.. but if eliminating backpressure would cause more airflow... could work :)

long as the weight wasn't an issue...:D

hook it so it blows down into the sink, and I bet you get more pressure on teh die.

Anyway, you won't get much increase.

Hmmm... It should have said, "Delta's are to loud fans as Fran Drescher is to annoying women."

Oh well... my analogies have sucked lately =p

The way the air blows on those 120mm fans, I think most of that air is going to be around your heatsink and not thru it. Sounds like a good motherboard cooler. ;) Dead space in the center of the fan.

If you want air, just get a SLK900U and 92mm Vantec Tornado and sell your old. Only about $60 for the new cooler setup and you should be able to get half of that from you old one. :D

Back