• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V333 + Barton?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seiko

Registered
I have an A7V333 (none x version) and wanted to know if any one has successfully tried to use a Barton or XP greater than 2000+?
I'm hoping my only investment into the AMD world has already hit a brick wall as I'd like to upgrade the chip to around 2.8 or higher.

Thanks in advance,

Seiko

can u post some proof of this? It's not that I doubt you but I dont want to splash out on a new Barton only to find it doesn't work on my mobo. I have checked the ASUS web site and they say only an x version can work? Are you saying a new bios (1.17) will work? I thought the latest was 1.16?

Thanks again, look forward to the clarification. This may be the best bit of news I've had all day!

HL2 here I come

:)

Intel 2.8H or Barton 2.8

Guys,
Thought I'd better clarify why the I'm asking can my A7V333 support Barton.
I have 2 systems, 1 an Intel 2.8H with only 384meg of Rambus and an XP2000+ with 512meg 2700DDR. I'm currently using the Intel as it's quite a bit faster than the XP2000+ but the lack of memory is hurting my gaming (especially UT2003). With Windows XP really requireing 512 to be comfortable the 384meg on the Intel doesn't really cut it. So in short I thought I can either add another 512 Ram in the Intel for £120 or drop in a Barton on the AMD for £140? Both systems have a 9700pro so they'd be pretty well matched. I guess the advantages of the AMD board are that is has 5.1 sound whereas my Intel only has 2.1. Other than that they are both pretty much the same. So which is better? Would the extra memory on the intel 2.8 along with hyperthreading out do an XP2800 with 512?
Opinions please?

I have no idea? I suspect it isn't 2, but then is there an easyway without cranking open the case?

Seiko said:
I have no idea? I suspect it isn't 2, but then is there an easyway without cranking open the case?

nope...it's printed on the board next to the ASUS logo and board name...only way as far as i know...

more importantly: I was able to run a 2500+ Barton on my rev. 1.04 (or maybe it was a 1.02...I forgot). Not sure if it was able to take advantage of the L2 as I only ran it for 5 mins to test the chip itself, but it did boot and recognize the speed and FSB and CPUZ did recognize the L2 cache. That's all I got around to checking. Even if you email ASUS on it, they'll reply that only Rev.2 officially supports Barton chips. Hope that helps you.

yes thanks, its enough for me to chicken out and splash out on more rambus memory fo the intel 2.8. Oh got an audigy2 as well.

HL2 had better run well !

Back