• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two questions about temperature readings.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bjgood

Registered
First, the idle temp for my CPU (23) is usually 1 to 2 degrees below the ambient room temp (25). Since that is obviosly wrong, is there a way to get more acurate temp readings?

Second, the load temp is WAY higher than load. After running prime95 for an hour CPU temp was at 48. 25 degrees seems to be a huge diffference between idle/load.

Also, when I run prime95, I only get 50% cpu usage (I assume because of hyperthreading). How can I get it to use all 100%. I tried opening two prime95 windows at once, but it won't let me.

I have a 2.8C with stock hsf on a GA-8IPE1000 pro motherboard, and I'm using a program that came with it (easytune4) to detect the temperature.

One last thing, the stock intel an is reading 2300 rpm idle and 2600 rpm load. That doesn't seem very fast to me. Is that normal for their stock fans? Would getting a better fan help significantly reduce temps?

One thing to check is to see what the temperature reading in BIOS is. I don't know what the deal is with the software monitoring on your motherboard, but those numbers definitally are not right. If you got a hardware temperature monitor that would give you a much clearer idea of the actual temperature.
You could also try some other software monitors like Motherboard Monitor 5. That might give you a better reading.
And...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

bios reads 32 (which I assume is idle). Is there any way to see load temps in bios?
I installed MM5 and it gives the same temperature readings.

Back