• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for the best mobo for an xp2500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meatneck

hey guys, im thinkin about changing out my mobo and cpu i know i want to go with an nforce2 chipset and an amd xp2500. i want to know what will be the best for overclocking and i want to have raid,and dont want to upgrade my ram at this time.i have pc2700 samsung memory..i also noticed that some of the boards have dual channel ddr. will my memory work with these boards for the time being till i can spring the cash for some better memory? thanks in advance...
MEAT

I recommend the Epox 8RDA+ v2 or the Abit NF7- S V.2. In my opinion, those are the best overclocking boards available.

yes your ram will run fine.. most of the nforce2 boards will run dual channel if you have 2 sticks of the same ram otherwise it'll just run single channel wiht a small loss in performance =d

DarkHawk said:
Plain simple easy answer........

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0

Comes with the latest FSB 400 Support and OC's like a mofo

I second this.:D You can't go wrong with the Asus.;)

Well you can't except for the Asus' lack of voltage adjustments, which can often get in one's way of an overclock. The Abit NF7 slightly surpasses all the other very solid choices with its greater amount of adjustments, and capability of still higher front side buses unmodded.

P-nut said:

I second this.:D You can't go wrong with the Asus.;)

i third this, i started a beginner on this board, made me feel comfortable tinkering w/ computers, good solid board

EDIT: that and all the great advice i got from these guys

Now where's that fanboy pic Oni was posting everywhere...

The Abit Nf7-S is the mobo of choice if you want solid overclocking and features. It has most of what the Asus has, but is a few $ cheaper. If you like all the extra stuff coupled with some good software, go with the Asus, but bear in mind you won't be able to change Vdd, and it gets the Vcore from the +5V rail. I think the Epox 8RDA+ use the 12V line, as does the Nf7-S.

To say that the NF7 blows away the Asus is a bit dramatic :rolleyes: the actual performance difference is what, 5%?

If you want hardcore OC go with the 8RDA+, cos it's the best at high FSB and stability under it.

You could also try an MSI k7n2 Delta-ILSR. I run that board with the 2500 and it just clocks like crazy! Plus it has extremely good support from MSI. You'd like it

L337 M33P said:
Now where's that fanboy pic Oni was posting everywhere...

The Abit Nf7-S is the mobo of choice if you want solid overclocking and features. It has most of what the Asus has, but is a few $ cheaper. If you like all the extra stuff coupled with some good software, go with the Asus, but bear in mind you won't be able to change Vdd, and it gets the Vcore from the +5V rail. I think the Epox 8RDA+ use the 12V line, as does the Nf7-S.

To say that the NF7 blows away the Asus is a bit dramatic :rolleyes: the actual performance difference is what, 5%?

If you want hardcore OC go with the 8RDA+, cos it's the best at high FSB and stability under it.

it's a little more than that at the extreams. but, 5% is 5%. and we, as overclockers, want all the performance we can get for our money. That, coupled with the fact that the abit is conciderably cheaper, makes it a no-brainer.

Also, don't forget to take into account asus's continuing problems with their board - theres a7n8x v2, for example, still has problems with bios corruption. Abit have managed to almost totally remove that (IMO major) problem.

Tyranos said:
I recommend the Epox 8RDA+ v2 or the Abit NF7- S V.2. In my opinion, those are the best overclocking boards available.

word

i'd go for the abit nf7-s v2 myself, best ocing board out there but the epox is good too

james.miller said:
Also, don't forget to take into account asus's continuing problems with their board - theres a7n8x v2, for example, still has problems with bios corruption. Abit have managed to almost totally remove that (IMO major) problem. [/B]

Indeed, forgot about that. What exactly causes the evil corruption bug though? And how hav Abit overcome it?

Granted that if you want all the juice you can get out of the board for the money the Abit is the better choice, but if you like the extra features to play with then get the Asus. I think it is a matter of the individual's opinion and intended use of the board.

This may be of interest to yer:
£89.00 A7N8X Dlx
£90.18 Abit NF7-S

For no readily apparent reason Dabs has the NF7 as more expensive :eh?:

Timmybighands said:
You could also try an MSI k7n2 Delta-ILSR. I run that board with the 2500 and it just clocks like crazy! Plus it has extremely good support from MSI. You'd like it

but doesn't this board lack the PCI lock? I thought MSI and one other manufacturer did not implement the PCI lock with the nf2 boards.

As for which nf2 board, I have to nominate the nf7 rev. 2. Unmodded, it consistently reaches the highest FSB of any nf2 board with the 8rda+ running a close second. I had the A7N8X deluxe and was satisifed with it. Then I got my current 8RDA+ and the difference floored me when it came to overclocking. I installed an NF7 in my sister's computer and tinkered with it. It's a good board and overclocks even better. Anyway, not to put down the Asus offering, in my experience, it isn't the best overclocker out there and the price tag is almost in the Intel range.

~THT

ok thanks guys...if it is gonna be a toss-up between asus and abit ill be choosing the abit(have had an asus in the past"thanks but no thanks" had nothing but problems with it..ok one more quick question about the abit.....ive shopped around and dont see anything about rev.2 is this all of the newer nf7 boards? or should the ad specify that it ir rev.2? if you guys have a link please send it to me...

Just about all retailers should be selling revision 2 NF7's and NF7-S's. As long as they indicate that it supports DDR400, it will be a revision 2.

Soltek 75FRN2-L simply a flat out awesome board which overclocks very well.

Cisco KID

Back