• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Order to do things in...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7h3r4py

Ok so I am planning on building a PC soon and I am 99% sure of how to do it all but today I was thinking, do I apply the theraml paste to the CPU, then put the cpu into the motherboard, then put the heatsink on top or do I put the CPU into the motherbaord, apply the thermal grease to the heatsink, then fix the heatsink in place?

I am guessing the second way is easier but does it really matter? Should I apply thermal grease to both?

Please help me to be sure in my mind. Thanks :)

Put the CPU in the socket...lock it down...apply the thermal paste to the CPU die...apply a very small amount in the center of the heatsink...then seat the heatsink...test and make sure it is fit securly by grabbing the heatsink and seeing if it moves around...some might have a small play...but you are making sure more that it will not pop off...now if it has a lot of play...then reseat it...

I've always preferred putting the CPU into the motherboard and locking it down before applying thermal paste. Its much easier to work with as the chip doesn't move and you don't have to risk bending pins or flukes when it comes to handling the CPU bare.

Please refer to Arctic Silver's thermal paste application guide here. Its pretty generic, so you can use it with any general paste out there (excluding PCM and the like "different" materials).

I too put the TIM on the CPU prior to inserting in the motherboard. Usually, I prep the CPU, pop it in the board, put the heatsink on then put the board in the case.

~THT

Back