• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for 8rda+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atticus1398

Registered
Getting ready to upgrade psu. Just wondering about what brands and models seem to work better than others with this board.
Thanks

Well, I will never buy another Antec. My slightly older 300 watt Antec was competely useless, and I, being the helpless hardware troubleshooter that I am, RMA'd my motherboard thinking that was the problem, and was at a loss when the new one came. I then got a Sparkle 350 watter, and it works great.

There's a great sticky in the Cases and Power Supplies section to read. Basically, get a good brand who's combined 3.3v and 5v rails output more than 220w for a non-OC'ed machine and over 240w for an OC'ed machine. The Antec TruPower line of PSUs were designed to deliver power uniformly across all three rails so the 380w model would be plenty for you as long as you're not running an obscene number of hard drives.

~THT

Stay away from the TruePower 330, however. I had 3 of them blow up, and I read last week of another forum user with the same problem. I do have an Antec SmartBlue 350 that I'm very happy with though.

Fortron/Sparkle.. unless you are running like 3ghz at 250 FSB than the very cheap Fortron 350 will handle anything you throw at it with this board.

I'm running an Antec Smartblue 350 and my 3.3v line runs at 2.7v but everything else is on target. I guess it's time to find a stronger one and retire this one to another box with one of my old pallys in it since they don't OC well.

Fast420A said:
I'm running an Antec Smartblue 350 and my 3.3v line runs at 2.7v but everything else is on target. I guess it's time to find a stronger one and retire this one to another box with one of my old pallys in it since they don't OC well.

My line runs there also. Check around, I believe this may be an error of the board itself. I know I haven't had any stability problems.

like many people suggested get a sparkle/fortron. My friend has the 8RDA+ (modded) and the antec isnt working well for him, caused many reboots and shutdowns. Bought a Sparkel 350watt psu and everything is fine now

Last time i checked 8rda dosen't even read 3.3v rail.. either way the radings for any of the rails are waay off.

Thanks everyone. Are Sparkle and Fortron the same company or what? People refer to them like they are one in the same.

yea fortron 0wnZ sparkle :lol:

and about the epox and 3.3v. It shows the vdimm instead, for some reason.

Can someone pick me out the cheapest Sparkle/Fortron psu on newegg? I need it to power the 8rda+ so I think I need the 350w version.

Get the cheapest 350w version with the 80mm fan. It's only like around 30$ now i think.

Man, I would invest in good PSU personally instead of taking chances on an 'adequate' one. Not to say Sparkle/Fortron is a bad purchase per say, but I have had a few Sparkles die on me and the importance of a good PSU can not be stressed enough. I really dig the Antec True series, but PPC or (usually) Enermax also make nice units.

If they died on you they were most likely to small. I have a Fortron 350 running the system in my sig with all that voltage and megahurtz and my rails are at 12.50 5.35 3.42.. Most 500w psu's couldn't do this.

q149 said:
If they died on you they were most likely to small. I have a Fortron 350 running the system in my sig with all that voltage and megahurtz and my rails are at 12.50 5.35 3.42.. Most 500w psu's couldn't do this.

300W running a PII-300 with a passive heatsink is probably overkill IMO ;) Wattage is barely an adequate measurement of capability anyway - personally I'd take a True380 over a 500W Generic in a second.

Any PSU can die, but two in a row left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think there's anything wrong with Sparkle, and again I'm not trying to say they aren't good units. I probably just had bad luck, but either way I'll always emphasize the benefits of a really good PSU.

Back