• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Couple questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

Which mobos as of today are compatible w/ DDR500 memory (w/ or w/ out a bios flash)?

Also, I am looking to buy some new memory in october. But I'm wondering how much waiting 2 months will help price wise. If the Twinmos CH-5 512MB 3200 is $106 now, how much can I expect it to be in october? Anyone knowledgable willing to guestamate?

Thanks for any helpful replies.

DDR500 is backward-compatible...you could drop it into a KT26^A board and it'd run just fine.

As for your price question, I've read rumors that there's a DRAM shortage coming up and current inventory is just covering it up. With Winbond re-tooling their lines to produce faster chips, I wouldn't be surprised if the price of RAM went up in the next few months. But think of it this way, if you buy RAM now and it goes up in price by the time you need to upgrade, you can sell it at a higher price than what you paid for it as other channels e.g. Newegg/Googlegear will have raised their prices for similar modules.

~THT

true true about the RAM going up...when DDR first hit the scene you could buy crucial PC2100 for 30 bucks for a 256mb stick! 6 months later it was 80! and it took another 12 months to drop to 50!.....but that's cuz micron declared bankrupcy i think...but what I'm saying is RAM prices do go up, when it comes to computers I always say buy now, don't wait.

Back