• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7a266

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bArrin

Registered
I've got a machine in which there is an ASUS A7A266 motherboard. I've really always had trouble with this mb, so it's getting kinda frustrating. At first, I was running this mb in a system with a XP1700+ (pally), worked alright, apart from a minor annoyance: it just didn't work with a fsb of more than about 111!! Which was kinda annoying, since the XP was capable of a 133 fsb.. so i only got 1110MHz from a cpu which on all stock settings should be able to make 1466MHz...

Anywayz, upgraded my computer with a MSI K7N2 mb, works just fine, at last my cpu at least does stock speeds (i'll prol oc it later on... I'm kinda new to this, so I'll take it easy and slow :p ) My old mb I installed in an older comp, and I bought a Duron 1300MHz (which only does 100 fsb at stock - so it didn't make a fuss about my stupid mb).

I've unlocked this Duron using the nifty pensil trick :D and I rebooted and went into BIOS. Everything went fine, all multipliers were unlocked up to 18x. But... (there's always a but, isn't there?) It's not possible to oc using the multipliers in BIOS... If I even try to raise them by .5 (from 13x to 13.5x), the machine hangs and won't boot.... The only way to oc is to raise the fsb as far as it goes (111, any more and the machine wont boot), so I'm currently running at 1465MHz.

My question is: Has anyone else had trouble with this stupid mb? Is it possible at all to oc using the multipliers on this mb (i've tried both in BIOS and the DIP-switches on the mb, nothing works, it ALWAYS hangs..) Is there a way to be able to actually use the unlocked multipliers?
(This system is only a secondary, so buying a new mb is out of the question for the moment...)

My specs are as follows:

AMD Duron 1300 MHz (AHLDA)
Total 512 MB SD-RAM
ASUS A7A266 MB
GeForce2 64MB
Chieftec Dragon Big Tower w/360W

thx 4 any help ;)

/bArrin

PS: does any1 know if this is a good stepping for the durons?

I've been using this board ever since it came out...3 years ago I think. It's been great to me...I run my Tbird 1.4 GHz at 143x10.5 so about 1.5 GHz. I think I might have damaged the DDR slots or something a little by trying with DDR and SDR at the same time...yeah...I was a major n00b back in the day. It's odd that you couldn't get over 111 FSB. I forgot how I did it but if you look in the manual you should find be able to see what to set the dip switches to so you can change the multiplier. I remember doing it a year ago. I had a lot of fun messing with it :) But this is an old board but it's been good to me.

Back