• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble maintaining NF7-s FSB speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leadsalad

Registered
My NF7-s has a tendancy to reduce my FSB to 100mhz after a restart. I run it at 200mhz and it always clocks it down to 100mhz but leaves my 12x multiplier alone. I'm not sure what the problem is, cmos jumper is set at default normal operation. This is frustrating, and I'd like to run at 2.4ghz normally instead of having to reboot into it.

Alright, is there some way to find out what that is? Or am I just screwed? It will run prime 95 at 2.4ghz all night, but every time I restart it defaults to 100mhz fsb. It will run 11.5 x 200 fine from any boot. Guess I can try dropping the FSB down to 192 and see if it does the same thing or if it stays at 192 and 2300 or if it's a 12x multiplier issue?

Could be almost anything. PSU, mem, temps keep tweaking the settings see if that works . For anyone to help we'll need more info. What PSU do you have what mem and timings what are your temps???

PSU is a TTGI 420 Watt, voltage rails are as follows (according to MBM 5) 3.33 - 3.33v, 5 - 5.03v, 12 - 11.92v, -12 - -11.78v, and -5 - -5.14v. Mem is Corsair 3200C2 at 2-3-3-6-T1. Temps are CPU 36C @ 1.75v 200fsb x 11.5multi @ 2.3ghz Barton 2500 (Water), Case 26C according to the on board thermistors. At 2.4ghz CPU 39C @ 1.85v, Case 28C. Both CPU are loaded Temps after 3 hours of Prime 95.

Nothing there grabbing my attention... cas2 hmm try 2.8 or 2.9 on mem voltage if you havn't already. It's late probably something I'm not thinking of.

I thought about that, tried it and nothing. It's running fine at 200fsb from multipliers 9-11.5.

What is your cpu voltage?

I can only run stable at 12mult when I bump my voltage up to 1.95.

I was running 1.85v @ 2.4 ghz and Prime95 ran straight for 4 hours without a hitch before I decided to do something else.

Whenever I change either the FSB or Multiplier , the first post will be at 100 FSB. I hit DELETE to get back into the bios, then F10 to save and exit again. I don't have to re-enter the settings , just F10 , Y and exit . I thought it was a safeguard
It will boot at my setting everytime after that.

Are you saying that every time you turn on your computer it always reverts to 100 FSB?

I don't know if my situation is unique , but it works the same way everytime I change one of the settings ?

Not really. When I make a change to the FSB or the Multiplier, and go the Save and Exit thing, it reboots at the desired FSB/Multi combination. After that, if I restart from within Windows or cold boot, it changes back to 100mhz. And it seems completely random now. I'm posting at 2400mhz @ 1.875v fine sometimes. But this morning, it posted at 1200mhz, and the rest of the day it was posting fine at 2400mhz. I also had it running at 2500mhz at 1.95v, Windows would lock up if I ran Prime 95. I'd reboot, and it would stay 2500mhz. It seems the Bios safety thing is a bit retarded? I wish it were possible to disable it and just flash the CMOS if I screwed up real bad.

Yours is a very different situation ? Wandering from 100 fsb to the fsb set in bios ? Do the other bios settings change when it goes to 100 ? Mine only goes to 100 after a change, but never wanders back and forth.
Ya might want to check with Abit on that one. Possible bad Bios chip or cmos battery ? New one on me !

Hmm. I probably should check with Abit. This is just frustrating. This morning as well, posted at 100mhz/1200mhz instead of 200/2400.

Update: I tried loading the Barton 2500 defaults with User Select selected at 166x11 and it cold booted from 100mhz. I think it's time for an RMA.

Last edited:
Back