• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VDD mod question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tekkism

Registered
Im about to do a VDD mod to my nf7 v.2 . I was looking at the instructions on motherboardfaqs.com and got a question. I have a 10k potentiometer and have no idea which pins on the pot meter i need to solder wires too? It has 3 pins sticking out on the side. Please help me...

Double check with the multi meter but it should be either end and the middle...If you got the same ones I got.

What he said.. just ground the middle and pick whatever end one you want and measure the resistance on the 2 pins you choose to use.

Check with a MultiMeter then decide how you want it to work, clockwise for decreasing or increasing the voltage in relation to how the resistance is set.

so, turning the adjustable screw clockwise would decrease voltage?

What I was pointing out is that you can set it up either way. Ask yourself how does a voltmod work, what will increasing & decreasing the resistance do? There are 3 terminals, the middle is ground, which you can setup the potentiometer with by increasing the resistance when turned clockwise or counterclockwise. Which terminal you use in conjunction with the ground will determine how your voltmod will work.

Do you want to increase the voltage by turning it clockwise? If yes then set it up that way.

Do you want to increase the voltage by turning it counterclockwise? If yes then set it up that way.

I always use fixed resistors to do vmod. Since fixed resistor is more reliable, less error prone, and not subjected to mechanical vibration and human errors (wrong turn by mistake or by little brothers or sisters, ...).

If one has some more background in electricity/electronics, get a few fixed resistors before hand, and you can play with resistors in series and parallel to get different values and tune for the final "optimal" solution.

Back to the NF7-S rev 2.0, for chipset Vdd, I used a
5 KOhm to get 1.85 V (bios setting at 1.7V)
3 KOhm to get 1.97 V (bios setting at 1.7V),
- you may adjust bios setting to adjust the Vdd if it is too high.
2 KOhm would be even higher Vdd, ...

I like to use SMD grabber, at least at the beginning stage of the vmod for experimentation.

Measure the Vdd voltage and the resistance using digital multimeter, and fine tune them accordingly. You can plot you own resistance vs Vdd characteristic.

Last edited:
Definately work it out which way you want to go and make sure it is installed at 10Kohms. One side is opposite turns from the other. Just use the multimeter to check and keep careful track of what your doing. YOU HAVE to be meticulous about the resistor mod or you'll fry something esp when checking the voltage. Good Luck.

how do i know if its at 5k Ohm? Do i just measure the voltage or set it to Kohm on my multimeter... heheh im sucha newb

Set the multimeter to ohm-meter mode.

If it is a fixed resistor, connect each of the two ends (terminals) of the resistor to each of the two terminals (red and black) of the multimeter. Then it should give the resistance in ohm or kilo-ohm. Kilo-ohm or Kohm means 1000 ohms.

For measuring resistance, the red (+) and black (-) polarity do not matter. I.e. which terminal of the resistor to black and which termianl of the resistor to red do not matter. Side track: in the case of diode or transistor, polarity does matter.

Technically speaking, one should not have fingers touching/holding both terminals during measurement, since human body conducts electricity to certain extend (~100 Kohms and variable) and may alter the readings.

Variable resistor has three terminals. Either the middle and left terminals OR the middle and right terminals form a resistor whose resistance is adjustable by turning the knob or screw. The resistance from two of the three terminals (adjustable by the know/screw) can be measured like the fixed resistor as described earlier. One can see how the turning of the knob/screw varies the resistance, and hence know which way is maximum and which way is minimum resistance.

Last edited:
Back