• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does my CPU need to be unlocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blackjack_21

Registered
I've got an XP 1800+, family 6, model 8, stepping 0. I've got this running on a Shuttle AK32A at 1538Mhz. Does this CPU need to be unlocked, or is it already unlocked? Best I can tell, I'm running 11.5x133, or maybe it's 11.5x134, I can't tell. :D I'm planning to get either a CoolerMaster X Dream or a Thermaltake 800u. The X Dream is going for $10 locally, so I figure it's a good place to start.

The cpu should already be unlocked if it is a tbred, if it is a pali you may need to unlock it. What is the stepping on the cpu? With that mobo I am pretty sure that if it is a pali you will have to unlock the cpu. Have you tried changing the muli in the bios yet?

I checked the stepping, and it's like I said in my first post, 680. According to the Stepping Encyclopedia in this post, I've got a Thoroughbred A, which should already be unlocked. I haven't done anything yet, as I'm going to get a better heatsink/fan and some more case fans, as well as rounded IDE/floppy cables to improve my airflow. I'm willing to bet I can overclock this thing with no problems, but I need to get better cooling before I try anything.
I know, I should have RTFM before I posted.:p :D

I'd have to check in my bios, since I don't have a way to measure it under load. I'd say it's fairly high (over 120F) on the CPU itself, plus the room it's in is always warmer than the rest of the house, so more fans and a new HSF setup is a must-have in my case.

Back