• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soldering on an ATX connector, can a mobo take the heat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

Soldering on an ATX PSU connector, can a mobo take the heat?

Well I have super super low voltage lines, part of it is my PSU and the other part is that my mobo make a horrible connection because I had a PSU die on it and it melted some plastic and made it hard to put the connector on there corretly ( well impossible as it is now) so If its not on there well I get super super super low volages.

So, would the heat from the soldering (assuming I use it wisly and dont leave it on there for a very very long time) mess anything up you think? Like follow through the traces and blow somting up I mean.

If not I think I may just have a solder fest and solder a mobo connector onto the back.

What do you think?

Assuming you found some way to heat sink your solder connections, and made sure to use just enough heat to get the old connector off (and the new one on), I would think this would be possible.

I would not recommend for anyone who is not an experienced solderer to try this. And as always, do everything at your own risk. As a general rule, don't mod/mess with it if you can't afford to replace it.

Hrm.. I guess I prolly should way then, I have not money :/

Meh, well if I decide to do it ill tell how it works out.

SickBoy, you don't have any idea on how I might Heatsink the connections do you? Maybe just put a heatsink around it, lol:D

Soldering heatsinks are cheap...but I don't see how to get them to work well in this situation.
They work best when placed BETWEEN the soldering iron and the component.

I have a pretty ghetto alternative for you though.......
Hard-wired PSU ;)

I think what I would do in that situation is to solder the wires directly to the pins in the mobo atx connector. It would mean a royal hassle if you ever need to change psu :D but you would get good connections!

The way I would do it:
soldering iron on 40 watt (mine is dual 20/40)
cut one wire at a time, tin the wire and then solder it to the pin.
Repeat until done.

Mobo pins solder fast as long as they are fairly clean, so tinning them shouldn't be needed. Using high heat would get the heat concentrated JUST where it is needed to solder FAST and minimize how much the pcd and traces get heated up.

While I have soldered to a few mobo's with no losses so far (knock on wood!) it is a bit nerve-wracking when I have to hold the iron on there for more than a second or two......
I don't think one would survive de-soldering an atx connector.
At least not if I was doing it ;)

rogerdugans said:
Soldering heatsinks are cheap...but I don't see how to get them to work well in this situation.
They work best when placed BETWEEN the soldering iron and the component.

I have a pretty ghetto alternative for you though.......
Hard-wired PSU ;)

I think what I would do in that situation is to solder the wires directly to the pins in the mobo atx connector. It would mean a royal hassle if you ever need to change psu :D but you would get good connections!

The way I would do it:
soldering iron on 40 watt (mine is dual 20/40)
cut one wire at a time, tin the wire and then solder it to the pin.
Repeat until done.

Mobo pins solder fast as long as they are fairly clean, so tinning them shouldn't be needed. Using high heat would get the heat concentrated JUST where it is needed to solder FAST and minimize how much the pcd and traces get heated up.

While I have soldered to a few mobo's with no losses so far (knock on wood!) it is a bit nerve-wracking when I have to hold the iron on there for more than a second or two......
I don't think one would survive de-soldering an atx connector.
At least not if I was doing it ;)

Thnks Ill remember how you have done it if/when I decide to, my 5v rails won't go above 4.7v on the mobo and they are often times lower (I know its higher everywhere else but the connection is horrible to the mobo).

I would probably snip the wires a little higher up and resolder if I were chaning PSU's or somthing.

Back