• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not cheap but the silence is total (well, almost)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

martindemon

Did you see the new Zalman case : TNN 500A ?
Fanless power supply, fanless CPU, fanless GPU, only noisy thing is the hard drive!

(warning, big PDF)
http://www.sharkacorp.com/pdf/TNN500A_Catalog.pdf

Some pictures here:
http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13396

So it's black (and some say ugly, but not me :) ) and PRICEY but the only noise is the HD, so with a seagate, this could be a great silent beast :cool:

Oh the price? Something like 1040 euros, i.e. something like 1000$USD :eek:

k3nshin said:
funky, wonder how it peforms though....

Probably within specs or the products. Its not gonna perform like something for extra cooling, but then its not made for that.

I find it hard to beleive that will even work well for the CPU and maybe the PSU. For low heat and low output cpu/psu's maybe, but certainly not for a 400+watt cpu and OCing your proc.

I could maybe understand that for a mom and pop machine, but not for any type of OCing...

that's a ridiculous price...

have you heard one of the newer dells? absolutely silent... and from them you can buy an entire system for what that case costs...

pffft :D

If AMD/Intel don't get their heat problems under control a case designed for cooling might be the way to go. It does make sense to make a case for cooling.

illig said:
have you heard one of the newer dells? absolutely silent...

That's because they are trying to break the record for WORST OEM COOLING EVER. One fan... running at LOW rpm sitting on a ducted P4 with a crappy heatsink. The HDD is mounted FLAT against the front of the case, not only blocking off 90% of the "intake" but heating up the incoming air in the process. The idea is that the air is pulled (from somewhere) over the system, through the CPU heatsink and out the back, through the single crappy fan. Sounds good, if you ignore the fact that there are NO intake vents besides a few mm-wide holes BEHIND THE HDD.

Apparently, Dell went to North Tiweeyakeeyaki, brought back to the US the poorest, most decrepit 12 year old refugee they could find... just to give him a 2 week crash course in introduction to ENGLISH with a couple hours of BASIC PC thermodynamics thrown in. After he mastered the difference between left-clicks and left-handed left-clicks, they asked him to design a cheap cooling system for their new pontoon, the Dell 2350. Cong, a silent PC!

Any monkey can duplicate what Dell did on their 'silent' cooling. I know this because I saw a few monkeys do just that.

vonkaar said:

Apparently, Dell went to North Tiweeyakeeyaki, brought back to the US the poorest, most decrepit 12 year old refugee they could find... just to give him a 2 week crash course in introduction to ENGLISH with a couple hours of BASIC PC thermodynamics thrown in. After he mastered the difference between left-clicks and left-handed left-clicks, they asked him to design a cheap cooling system for their new pontoon, the Dell 2350. Cong, a silent PC!

Any monkey can duplicate what Dell did on their 'silent' cooling. I know this because I saw a few monkeys do just that.

Nice:D

Although i dont agree, vonkaar, that was still pretty damn hilarious. Surethey have crappy cooling, but thats only because thats all they need. I havent heard of one complaint from dell users that their system is overheating. Actually, wait, i do agree. They have crappy cooling (agreed), but thats all they need (you didnt mention this). Ok, its all good. Sorta.

Anyway, $1000 for only the case? Its a good idea on paper. But not when you work it out. Who would buy something like this - considering the price?

EDIT: Thats a nice site, BTW. I was getting tired of Tom's and Anand's.

Okay, that's fair. It's all the cooling you need.

Unless you decide to put ANYTHING else in your system. A second HDD? New bracket (bye $40) and now you are overheating. A better video card? Fine, if you don't mind 1998 graphics... because that's about as much GPU heat this thing can handle. I won't mention... ok yes I will... they don't ADVERTISE it, but 90% of every 2350 I've opened up had their precious little AGP slot left on the factory floor. Oh boo hoo, our computer couldn't possibly handle a SECOND heat-source... SCRAP the AGP slot! That'll show em!

I'm a big fan of the Dell 2350.

That statement had it all! Puns, sarcasm and impressive numbers to boot!

vonkaar said:

That's because they are trying to break the record for WORST OEM COOLING EVER. One fan... running at LOW rpm sitting on a ducted P4 with a crappy heatsink. The HDD is mounted FLAT against the front of the case, not only blocking off 90% of the "intake" but heating up the incoming air in the process. The idea is that the air is pulled (from somewhere) over the system, through the CPU heatsink and out the back, through the single crappy fan. Sounds good, if you ignore the fact that there are NO intake vents besides a few mm-wide holes BEHIND THE HDD.

lol when i saw that i was going to put something on how crappy the dell cooling is, but i think u pretty much covered it:p

Back