• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a Millennium Glaciator be enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brennan77

I'm currently running an 1800+ overclocked to [email protected] volts. The temps aren't that great, but I have a theory that the hot mofsets are interfering with a proper reading on my 8RDA+.

Anyway, I have a new T-Bred B 2100+ coming. At stock speeds, it should offer less of a workout for the heatsink. But of course I want to overclock. Will this heatsink offer a decent bit of overhead? Or do I really need to invest in something like an SK-7?

Last edited:
I have a similar theory. I feel my cpu is actually hovering around absolute zero, but its proximity to the intense heat of the sun is obscuring the "true" temperature. Perhaps we are both wrong.

Its a decent enough heatsink; you could probably reach 2.0-2.1ghz with it. BUt your combo seems to be begging for more, so $15 for an SK7 would be well worth it IMHO.

Larva: What's with the sarcastic reply? Doesn't look necessary to me at all, unless I'm missing something. True, overheating mosfets shouldn't be interfering with an on-die reading, but there are more polite ways to point this out. He did edit his post; maybe I'm missing something.

Gautam said:
Its a decent enough heatsink; you could probably reach 2.0-2.1ghz with it. BUt your combo seems to be begging for more, so $15 for an SK7 would be well worth it IMHO.

Larva: What's with the sarcastic reply? Doesn't look necessary to me at all, unless I'm missing something. True, overheating mosfets shouldn't be interfering with an on-die reading, but there are more polite ways to point this out. He did edit his post; maybe I'm missing something.

I edited for a spelling error. It doesn't sound like it would interfere. However, I have seen a few threads on different forums in the last week addressing this issue with the Epox 8RDA+. Some people are having interesting results after cooling this area of the motherboard. Interesting to the tune of a 10C lower readout. Whether or not this reading itself is false, I don't know.

I have a question about the SK-7 now. Do I really need one of these loud super 80mm fans to cool well, or can I use one of these standard case fans I've got lyin around. I ask because a $15 sink quickly turns to a $40 investment after shipping and a fan.

The SK7 scales very well with higher amounts of airflow. At 2500 rpm or so, it wouldn't make for a noticeable improvement over the Glaciator. I'd suggest a Thermaltake Smartfan II, which will allow you to choose whatever noise/performance level suits you the best. The investment will be well worth it to you.

fan

I have an sk-7 and was using a sunon 50cfm fan and temps were ok, i recently bought a smartfan II and a thermaltake duct mod and temps dropped 6°C. So the sk-7 sure like some serious cfm.

Gautam said:

I get ever so tired of the wishful thinking that revolves around temperature numbers. Discounting it, he could have likely answered his own question. He already has more experience with the Glaciator than most here, interpreting his experience with it is all that is necessary.

brennan77 said:

I have a question about the SK-7 now. Do I really need one of these loud super 80mm fans to cool well, or can I use one of these standard case fans I've got lyin around. I ask because a $15 sink quickly turns to a $40 investment after shipping and a fan.

With 80mm fans in heatsink applications, you need to have something in the range of 32cfm minimum to have adequate static pressure. This means revolving the fan at approximately 2500rpm. Your temperatures will no doubt drop if you choose a stiffer fan than this, but if you have something in the 35-40cfm range lying about I'd try it and see how the temps are before buying anything stiffer.

Temps will really drop with one of the truly high flow fans, the Vantec or high speed Delta. Of course the noise is mind-numbing, so I don't consider this a realistic alternative. I believe a SLK800 or 900 will do better with a low output fan than the SK7, but of course the price spirals rapidly. But for any air-cooled solution, the primary ingrediant is air, so stronger fans will make a noticeable difference. I strive to select an efficient enough heatsink as well as a high degree of case airflow so that temps are good with a fan I can stand (2900rpm).

I get ever so tired of the wishful thinking that revolves around temperature numbers. Discounting it, he could have likely answered his own question. He already has more experience with the Glaciator than most here, interpreting his experience with it is all that is necessary.
Wholeheartedly agreed.
Temps will really drop with one of the truly high flow fans, the Vantec or high speed Delta. Of course the noise is mind-numbing, so I don't consider this a realistic alternative. I believe a SLK800 or 900 will do better with a low output fan than the SK7
The SLK800 would actually be an excellent option for lower noise operation. At 2900 RPM, the SLK800 should give you a good .29 C/W; slightly superior to what an SK7 would offer with 3500 rpm. If you have 80mm fans with around 3000 rpm, it would probably be a cheaper and better option to just buy an SLK800 and use a fan that you currently own.

You may also want to consider the newly resurfaced AX-7 if a low noise solution appeals to you. They are available very cheaply now (like $15) and are another excellent heatsink. Due to the wide fin spacing they do fairly well with mild fans. The main site is down ATM, but if the goal is to get a $15 heatsink that cools well with a mild fan, I'd compare the test data between the SK7 and the AX-7 to make sure I selected the correct one. But of course cheap. quiet, and cool are a lot to ask of any one product, the SKL800 or 900 will outperform either of the earlier designs with whatever fan we make the comparison with.

Concerning the mosfets, if they are causing a problem I would take this as a sign of innadequate case ventilation. Goodly gains are encountered with air cooling as you increase the airflow volumme through the cabinet up to approximately 100cfm. The guys with the 8RDA+ temps that are dropping radically are water coolers. Usually water cooled systems are fitted with comparitively little case fan capacity as in most case more isn't necessary. I think this is one of those cases where more is necessary.

larva said:

This is silly man. I have good reason to believe my temp read outs are on the high side. There's no 'wishful thinking' here. Even if there were, it's not some crime against the truths of humanity which should tire your weary soul. Get over it and let people have fun with their computers.

But to the point, my question was not in regards to the temperatures and experiences of my Glaciator/1800+ combo. I know how it performs there. The question was in regards to a different CPU which has a differently shaped and sized core, is manufactered through a different process, and runs on lower voltage. That's what I was asking about.

larva said:
You may also want to consider the newly resurfaced AX-7 if a low noise solution appeals to you. They are available very cheaply now (like $15) and are another excellent heatsink. Due to the wide fin spacing they do fairly well with mild fans. The main site is down ATM, but if the goal is to get a $15 heatsink that cools well with a mild fan, I'd compare the test data between the SK7 and the AX-7 to make sure I selected the correct one. But of course cheap. quiet, and cool are a lot to ask of any one product, the SKL800 or 900 will outperform either of the earlier designs with whatever fan we make the comparison with.

Concerning the mosfets, if they are causing a problem I would take this as a sign of innadequate case ventilation. Goodly gains are encountered with air cooling as you increase the airflow volumme through the cabinet up to approximately 100cfm. The guys with the 8RDA+ temps that are dropping radically are water coolers. Usually water cooled systems are fitted with comparitively little case fan capacity as in most case more isn't necessary. I think this is one of those cases where more is necessary.

Thankyou for the useful and informative response. This certainly offers insight.

This is silly man. I have good reason to believe my temp read outs are on the high side. There's no 'wishful thinking' here. Even if there were, it's not some crime against the truths of humanity which should tire your weary soul. Get over it and let people have fun with their computers.
This was totally unnecessary. What Larva is getting at is that people are all too often concerning themselves with essentially useless numbers reported my their motherboards. Temps don't mean anything, even if they are accurate, thus its a waste of time to even bother with them.
The main site seems to be up and down for me. I can get to it now; 20 seconds ago I couldn't. Anyways the AX7 appears to be outdone by the SLK800 and the SK7 as well; a rather poor .38 C/W with 3200 rpm. Looking at the results, it seems to me that this heatsink has a rather undeserved reputation, as its performance completely plummets at anything lower than 4800 rpm. Here are the test results.

Maybe I read the guy wrong, but he seemed to be expressing his distaste for something I posted, which I thought to be unwarranted, especially considering that that was not the subject of my post.

It's all good. No hard feelings here, just said my piece.

Back