• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan for thermalright slk800a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mmills

Registered
What's the best fan for a thermalright slk800a?

How are they attached to the heatsink?

Seems like the bigger the better, but since I don't know the fitting scheme, it's all a mystery to me.

mmills

I'm building my first box...
Enermax CS-10181B.
Fortron 350 power supply
WD 80 gig drive
Thermalright SLR 800a
Abit NF7
amd 2500+ barton
Twin MOS PC 3700 1x256
old PCI video card

A Thermaltak Smartfan II is always a good choice, allowing you to select fan speed, without an additional rheobus. If you have high noise tolerance, look into a Vantec Tornado, for the highest performance available, and also the highest noise levels. Your heatsink can take 92mm and 80mm fans; each are attached via clips.

I second the reccomendation for a Thermaltake Smartfan II. It offers great performance, reliability and has good features for the price. You can't go wrong with this fan.

You'd need to use some rubber bands or zip ties to hold a 120mm on there. However, due to the decreased static pressure that comes with the decreased noise, you will not get great performance out if. You're better off with a full-speed 92mm tornado if you can handle it, or a Smart Fan II.

>You'd need to use some rubber bands or zip ties
>to hold a 120mm on there

I was thinking about bubble gum. :D

Thanks for the logic on 120mm vs 92mm fans on a heat sink. It makes a great deal of sense.

mmills

If you want to use a 120mm attach it to the side panel and create a funnel going down to the heatsink. That is the best use for a 120mm cooling a CPU HS. Otherwise you are wasting too must air when its right on top of the heatsink.

CGR,

>create a funnel ...

Cool idea. Any recommendations on materials for this purpose? Something one might find at home depot?

mmills

Back