• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another lapping question......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NcBaller1985

I know you guys have to be sick of these questions but this one is a little different. Aight, I am lapping my MCX4000. Is it ok if I can see the lines on the bottom of the heatsink? I am using the pick-up-and-move-back-to-origanal lapping method. I hope you can see where I am coming from. hehe :)

If you can see the lines, depending on how fine they are, you may want to go up to a higher grit. If you are already at a pretty high grit, mark the base with a squiggly line with a permanent marker and lap it until the marker is gone. It will most likely be as flat as possible for that grit. I can see extremely fine lines on my HS when I finished it, but I went up to 1500 and did not try for a mirror finish. I don't need it.

yeah. You can try for 800, although if you put some more time into it, I'm sure you can get rid of most of the deeper lines. I only went up to 1500 because the auto store I was at didn't have any more 800 grit and I wanted to see what I could get above 600 grit. :D

Back