• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with upgrading CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jclark8279

Registered
Is it possible to swap out CPU's without taking out the motherboard from the case? I just ordered a Barton 2500 and will be replacing a XP1700 in a A7N8X Deluxe. I know I will have to at least take the power supply out... Any advice is appreciated...

Specs:
Antec Lanboy 350PW
XP1700 >>>>> Barton 2500
A7N8X Deluxe
Kingston Hx PC3500
Ati 8500LE
WD 80g SE

It is possible. You have to be careful with removing and replacing the heatsink though. Its easy to slip and damage the board.

You can with the power supply out so you have room to get at the HS clip. Put the case on it's side flat on the floor and be careful taking the heatsink clip on and off so you don't damage anything.

You can also just be lazy and not put the power supply out and instead attach the clip on the bottom (the wrong clip, the one without the little notch) with the screwdriver.

Of course, that's the method I used to lacerate my KT4V before some emergency soldering rescued it ;)

bk94si said:
You can with the power supply out so you have room to get at the HS clip. Put the case on it's side flat on the floor and be careful taking the heatsink clip on and off so you don't damage anything.
Yep, take extreme caution when using a screwdriver to remove the hsf. I damaged my first amd board doing this when the screwdriver slipped and hit a small resister on the board. Some buys use a nutdriver do remove the hsf's with the little nub on them. If you have one that uses a thumb latch then that is an easy one to do with the board in the case if you lay the case on the side and remove the memory. Just be very careful and it can be done with ease.

Back