• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lanboy cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GrooveRyder

Greetings OC gurus,

I recently assembled a new system, first shot at truly doing it myself. I have an Antec Lanboy case, barton 2500, vantec aeroflow cooling said processor, and two of the led antec system fans cooling this system. When all was said and done, I had an ungodly processor temperature. I had to actually UNDERCLOCK it to keep it from going over 50 deg celcius. I've heard the aeroflow was a good hsf (at least better than stock), but this high temperature's got to go. If it's just a bad heatsink from you all's experience I'd like to know. These are my other suspicions:
a) I placed a slot fan under my video card to suck air out back
b) When installing the aeroflow, I think I may have used a bit too much as3
c) the antec led fans just aren't pushing enough air

I'm sure you all can help me pinpoint a solution better, and I'll give any more information required, I hope I got the essentials at least. Thank you all in advance.

I just got a vantec aeroflow from googlegear a week ago. The TMD fan strapped on top worked for a total of 20 seconds and then stopped dead. You probably already checked this, but I would just double check that the fan is actually spinning while the computer is running.

I'm still waiting for my RMA to come back and I'm unimpressed with the TMD fan.

The AeroFlow is a way better heatsink than the stock solution, so its not your heatsink (although like subconscious said, check the fan - I think your temps would be MUCH higher than 50 without a fan, however doesn't hurt to double check).

Go through the usual:
1) Reseat the HS
2) Do some cable management - try to move your cables so they won't interfere with airflow from front to back. How are your fans arranged?

Welcome to the world of building pcs, beware it quite addictive. :) I would think it is your heatsink, try reseating it as stated above and it should fix most of your cooling problems.

Also I hate to say it but the slot fan is just adding noise to your pc in my opinion, if you want to add good cooling to that area put a fan on the side panel blowing on your card/south bridge area.

I used Antec red led fans for a while as my exhaust fans and they are really loud and push about the same air as a good panaflo L1A fan, consider losing them. I didn't realize this until after I switched but it made a huge difference.

All I can say is keep working at it and beware the money it is about to cost you. My wife is about to leave me because of the money I spend on "rebuilding" pcs. :D

You probably used too much AS3. Reseat the heatsink, following the instructions here as for how to remove the thermal compound already on the heatsink and how to apply the compound when you reapply. Also, have you flashed your board's BIOS yet? Perhaps it's that -- that's what happened to me on my MSI K7N2G-L

Thanks for the wealth of info all. I'll get started on the tasks next weekish (if I'm lucky) and post results/further screw-ups.

i agree on the as3/reseating the hsf as probable culprit/solution... and the stock antec case fans barely push any air to be worth a damn, i'd replace them if i were you.

you could probably do with some better airflow as i've noticed my case temps are 5C's higher than my old custom modded one...i'll be doing some mods when i get back...

I have the same case , and am also using the blue LED fan in front, back and on the HS.

I went up 5-7c average when taking the Panaflo's out and using the Antec LED fans. The blue is nice but they just dont move much air.

I am going to take the front panel off, then cut a hole for a 120mm in the front. Also just use better fans for the HS and the rear exhaust, the fan positioning is not bad ( in front lower, out rear upper ) but those fans are like 23 cfm, I work at best buy as a PC Tech and we use them alot, they are not that great for performance just looks.

The Panaflow 120mm M1A does like 85cfm @ 35db, that is about 4x the cfm of the Antec 80mm fan and its is about 2db less noise, hard to go wrong there.

Lanboys are all about the lanning in style so you cant just replace it with some Fugly black panaflo! Here, these case fans look sweet *** (thier super bright) and thier at a good cost and thier cfm isnt bad at all!

http://www.vibecomputers.com/index.cfm?loc=iview&if=n&vID=190251&pnav=2

those are canadian prices as thats where i buy my stuff from but atleast you can see the brand etc. I too had antec standard case fans in my case and the cfm of those uv reactive fans is MUCH more.. The antec fans produced next to no air flow, the simple replacement of those w/ the uv fans dropped my temps by over 10c. 10c!

dont do your case injustice by using standard issue fans, stick w/ the blue and go sexy, go uv blue.. =P (oh if your wondering the Cold Cathode part can be moved to either side of the fan so you dont have to worry about not being able to see the black light depending on the airflow. )

Back