• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X-DX help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jordan

this board supports the serial ata, I have 2 maxtor 60GB 7200rpm ATA 133 Hard drives, am I able to use those two hard drives in raid-0 on this board? Are those drives able to be hooked up with different cables to utalize the faster serial ata hookup or does that require different kinds of hard drives? Thanks!

ps- will this accept 1GB of Ram per slot? What is the best kind to drop in, I'm not familiar with "dual channel DDR400"- I have a stick of samsung 512mb "regular ddr" rated at 466mhz, would the dual channel ram be much faster or should I stick with the "regular" DDR

I will be watercooled and want to slightly overclock the cpu

thanks!

Serial ATA HDs come with serial ATA connectors only. There are sockets on the motherboard that they specifically plug into and are designed for RAID. If you want normal HDs then get IDE ones.

Dual channel is the ability of the memory controller, IE northbridge to access memory. put DIMMs in slots 1&3 or 2&3 for dual channel.

another question

ok, I have IDE drives and am going to keep them, 133 isnt that far off from 150, right? Or would it be huge to go to the 150??? If I keep the ata133 drives, can they be raided on that board? Next question, you mentioned which dimms to put the ram in, should I go with 2 sticks of ram (512mb ea) or 1 stick of 1GB, I'm eyeballing the samsung 1GB pc4000 (500mhz cas2.5)- Could I get a good overclock with that or should I go with two sticks of 512mb ram????

the more sticks of ram the harder it is to overclock....

while running in dual channel it's harder to overclock again....

dual channel will give you a 2-5% increase in performance only, it's definetly not worth it, given that it is free and it's nice to use it, i just think it's better to overclock higher and also to keep more dimm slots free for upgrades....

asus boards like samsung ram btw :/

max ram size is 1 gb but its like impossible and awefull expensive to find 1 gb ddr400 ram..

if you really want 1 gb go wtih 2 sticks of 512.

as for Serial ATA if you relaly want the raid buy a ATA-SERIAL adapter.. it'll run you maybe 15 bucks a piece.. the drives alone wont notice a performance difference in serial but when its raided you will see the difference.. for 30 bucks personaly i would just buy a PCI raid card =d

should I go with 2 sticks of ram (512mb ea) or 1 stick of 1GB

If you want the dual channel, you need two sticks. That's how it works. So if you want a total of 1 gig, 2x512.

put DIMMs in slots 1&3 or 2&3 for dual channel.

That's how you use the two sticks.

133 isnt that far off from 150, right?

I agree with this statement. One of the magazines that I currently read (Max PC or PC Magazine or CPU) showed that there are no applications that really benefit from the extra bandwidth. Nor is there much difference in file transfer.

I think that the dual channel is the better way to go personally. I'm seeing reports of higher speeds. I haven't seen any reports that show different.

Back