• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win98

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jd5449

Registered
i am tring to load 98 on my computer downloaded new boot disk but all i get is disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter so then downloaded another boot disk from bootdisk.com and all it said was remove disk or other media press any key to restart but doesn't restart is said the same thing again disk boot failure. microsoft help line to long still waiting 2hrs to and 2hrs yesterday but couldn't wait any longer they say try 5am :mad:

ya sure its reading from the a drive, of course the simple question.
But i also got that msg a few times, once when my cd rom drive was nor harddrive wasnt being read. check all ya plugs make sure ya harddrive is plugged in , dunno if ya messed with it any.
repartition your harddrive or ran fdisk?
if so, make sure you format! :p

throw at me what ya done so far...

techno i have not partitioned hd or fdisk i thought windows was able to do it once i get it started will be calling micrsoft at about 6am after i get this one up i have one more to get up

Make sure that your bios setup program is set to boot from the floppy, and you should have no trouble starting from floppy.
If your hdd is new, then you will have to partition using fdisk, and you will have to restart b4 you format. and when fdisk asks if you want to use the entire hdd, choose yes, unless you want to dual boot.....choosing yes will automaticly set it for fat32.(more space than fat)
When you format you might want to use the /s switch witch will transfer the rudimentary boot files to the hdd, but you will still need to use a boot disk to get the cdrom to work, unless you load a dos based cdrom driver to the hdd.
Hope this helps

^^^on wich you can find tons of programs on the net that will do that. i found a small 5mb or less program that was an image of all msdos boot files to make a bootable dos cd. tell me if ya need any help, finding such a program.
but usually programs like your windows cd will have all the required files to boot you into the installation. just as forementioned, ya must Fdisk, *restart* ( true lol ) , and then format ( format c: ) i never used the /s command, cause windows cd covers that.

Back