• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-900u install troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kubix

Registered
Hey guys last night i got my slk-900u with my hairdryer fan(Tornado 92mm) I have a MSI Neo2-FISR with a p4 3.0c on it. Now, i was following the instructions from the thermalright webpage but those are as good as reading hyrogliphacs. It took me over 2 hours to figure out how to install the adapter plates to the heatsink because either the HS would not stay stable or it was too high from the cpu. I somehow installed it so that it landed on the cpu right and the HS stayed locked down.

When i put the AS3 on it i spread it very very thin but i dont think it was that thin because it wasnt transparent.

Well i boot up my pc and im getting in bios 48C and when i get into windows it gets to 59C on load and 48C on idle. Thats way too high for what i was expecting from this setup so im pretty sure i did something wrong seeing as people have been getting 29C on idle and like 35c on full load.

I used PC health 4, corecenter and MBM5 to monitor my temps.

I also stress tested my computer over night runnning cpuburn and prime at the same time no errors or crashes or stability issues.

This has really got me stumped and fustrated, i dont want to burn out my cpu :(

Sorry for the long post as my first but im desperate right now.

Oh and i love the board, very good tips all over the place.

yes sir, i tested it out on my old pc first before i hooked it up to see which way the airflow went, so i am sure its blowing on the heatsink

i probally do have it mounted bad but only because of the adapter plates, i dont know how they go and in the way they show it in thermalrights webpage it makes the heatsink about an iinch over the CPU, if anyone could guide me into how to place the adapter plates for the p4 please help, those plates annoy the hell out of me

I had the same problem (also posted here) and after a few hours of cursing i found how you screw that biatch on.

Follow instructions to the part you finish screwing with :) standoffs then DONT put adapter plate on but PUT HS on cpu (use your favorite paste beforehand etc...) and THEN put adapter plate (like shown on Thermalright instructions - curved part UP) and use springscrews on all 4 standoffs and finally screw everything :))))))

Hope it helps.

ps: first time i mounted it i went literaly by instructions and thought i screwed it ok (since HS stuck to die due to paste and vacuum) but when i installed mobo and put it vertically it just unstuck and left nice few mm's of free space - luckly these new p4s turn off when overheating so i didnt fry anything just had constant reboots after turning it on.

thanks for the tip! =) i will try this when i get home

thanks again

Maybe this picture will help? If not, consider this a bump!

SLK900U.jpg

wow thanks for the picture!

i have it installed that way, but i think the reason im not getting efficient numbers now is because of the amount of AS3 i might have put on but i swear i put a little oh well time to pull the beast out and reapply some as3

that picture should be sent to thermalright so there would be no confusion on how to put those adapter plates

Back