• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think i killed my barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MR_CLARK

Well i got my 2500+ barton the other day, coupled with an asus a7n8x-x mobo

it ran hot from the start even with a decent heatsink+fan combo, and thermal compound was used well (reapplied several times to check)

it only oC'd a bit (about 100mhz over std). so even std speeds it was hitting about 56 - 58 degrees (stock voltage) was getting restarts under load as well

Well today i was experimenting with diff mem speeds in bios, and on reboot it doesnt come up at all, no problem i thought, turn off and on and the bios will go back to the default settings... no luck, so i short the cmos... no luck

so its deaded i think... I tried my old 850 tbird in the mobo, didnt work (managed to kill the die afterwards too - not my day) the 2500+ in my old KT7 didnt work either

with the mem out too, it doesnt beep either, even with the memory out

So it looks like its killed?

Im gonna take it down the shop for them to put another 2500+ in and see if it works, if it does then ill take it and try and get a refund from the online store (ebuyer)

it looks like the CPU was defective in some way as it ran very hot, even stock (didnt really make that much difference in heat from stock to slightly oc'd)

whats the chance of me getting a refund? bloody thing... would of prolly popped its clogs within a few weeks anyway

MR_CLARK said:
Well i got my 2500+ barton the other day, coupled with an asus a7n8x-x mobo

it ran hot from the start even with a decent heatsink+fan combo, and thermal compound was used well (reapplied several times to check)

it only oC'd a bit (about 100mhz over std). so even std speeds it was hitting about 56 - 58 degrees (stock voltage) was getting restarts under load as well

Well today i was experimenting with diff mem speeds in bios, and on reboot it doesnt come up at all, no problem i thought, turn off and on and the bios will go back to the default settings... no luck, so i short the cmos... no luck

so its deaded i think... I tried my old 850 tbird in the mobo, didnt work (managed to kill the die afterwards too - not my day) the 2500+ in my old KT7 didnt work either

with the mem out too, it doesnt beep either, even with the memory out

So it looks like its killed?

Im gonna take it down the shop for them to put another 2500+ in and see if it works, if it does then ill take it and try and get a refund from the online store (ebuyer)

it looks like the CPU was defective in some way as it ran very hot, even stock (didnt really make that much difference in heat from stock to slightly oc'd)

whats the chance of me getting a refund? bloody thing... would of prolly popped its clogs within a few weeks anyway

Sorry to hear that.......

You have to put yourself in the retailers position, it would be very dishonest and just plain wrong to claim defective at this point if any attempt at overclocking was made, not to mention installer error......no matter how sure you think you are you should double and tripple check all of your settings and jumpers.

Years ago the same thing happened to me with what at the time was a flagship processor and like you part of me wanted to blame it on a defective processor. I ordered a replacement and to my dismay the same thing happened and I fried a second processor, so then I thought what is the chance of getting two defective flagship processors from two different retailers back to back! I then smouldered for a few days ....too afraid to try a third. I must have read through the mainboard manual and checked the installation 50 times whith no cause or errors found. I then decided surely it has to be a defective mainboard, so I ordered another along with the third processor.
By this time I was positive that it was not installer error. Upon arrival of the new board and processor I began to sweat profusely before even opening the box........talk about nervous! After catching my breath, gaining control of my shaking hands and then proceeding with a lump in my throat..........I handled these components with KID gloves.
after removing the first board from the case I then noticed what appeared to be a very small resistor in the bottom of the case..............LOL.

I guess I did'nt exercise enough care installing the first board!
:D :D

100mhz would never kill a barton

i'm fairly certain you didn't install the heatsink properly... where did you get these temps from(56c)? if you got them from asus probe they were you're cpu socket temps, not the cpu core/die temps, cpu core/die temps were prolly close to 70 or something....

we ALL make mistakes.... was this a retail cpu? if so, rma it or if you bought it recently email the e-seller and tell them that your cpu is not working that there is something wrong with it.... send it back to them and they should send you a new one....

if it was a RECENTLY purchased OEM cpu, it will prolly have like a 30 warranty or something so this might not be a total loss for you....

Yeah, try to rma it. I dont think that it is all that dishonest of you to rma a cpu after only a few days. How long have you had this cpu? I really dont think that trying a 100 mhz oc is that bad of a thing anyhow.

cheers

Yeah, like i said, i triple checked the heatsink install and thermal compound and each time it still was running hot...

Im going out now to buy a duron cpu from a local shop (for my old computer) and try that in the a7n8x, if it dont work then its the mobo / memory? hopefully it will work and ill just go and buy another cpu locally and get a refund on the old one

cheers guys

It could be the mobo that's broken, and that your KT7 has doesn't work with bartons. AFAIK it has great problems with Thoroughbreds.

on bootup try holding down the insert key, that happend to me on my 8rga+ and that's all I had to do to get it working. It's worth a shot....

well it was the mobo

and now im running at 2.2 (ambient temps are high - bout 30) and coolings an issue now

bout 56 - 60 full load on die temps

1.8 vcore and 2.2

not bad for fairly crap cooling

Back