• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do these BIOS things do?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MetalStorm

So what do these things actually do:

APIC ( I have heard people saying that you should have it off... why???)
FSB and AGP Spread Spectrum, what does they do?!?!? Performance increases / decreases, enhanced OC?
CPU Thermal Throttling - I know what it does, but why do people say to turn it off when overclocking???

And a something new in the v 17 bios

CPU Disconnect - What the hell?

Answers I need answers! - and im sure that this will be useful for other people who want to know as well.

When Enabled, the FSB and AGP Spread Spectrum modulate or vary the speed of each of these buses slightly to minimize the effect of EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference). It is a good concept, but because it is modulating the FSB and AGP bus speeds, it decreases the stability of your computer when overclocked. Therefore, you want to Disable both of these in order to improve stability of your computer.

Okay, thanks for that, now what do the other bits do?! Does anyone actually know?!?!

(I think once I have found out what all the BIOS things do, I might make a comprehensive list for them all and maybe it could be a sticky? It would save people having to ask the same questions over and over again)

You disable thermal throttling b/c when you overclock your temps are going to be high thus causing the cpu to throttle down.

Personally though I would enable it. If your temps are high enough to cause throttling you should not be overclocking yet b/c you need better cooling.

Okay, 2 down, 2 to go, does anyone know what the other 2 things I mentioned actually do?!

(the reason I asked about CPU throttling is because I thought like you, you wouldnt overclock if it is so hot, so I was thinking there was a hidden motive to it.)

Here is thread from the Abit Forums discussing APIC. There does not appear to be a concensus at all regarding whether it should be Disabled or Enabled. You might want to try running with it set both ways and see what affect it has on your computer stability and overclocking.

I like enabling APIC since it gives me more IRQs and more of a chance for devices in my computer to get their own IRQ. I haven't really experienced any downside when it's enabled.

So if it just allows more IRQs then how can that impede overclocking... and what area of overclocking, fsb, multi, voltages, timings?? what? or does it do nothing in the way of overclocking potential? (some say it does some say it doesnt...)

Back