• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Windows XP Pro on a new notebook...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuerst

I bought a new centrino notebook (not here yet) without an OS pre-installed because I got Windows XP Pro for $6 from my campus compu-store. Anyways, do I just go to setup, set first boot device to CD-ROM, pop the disk in, reboot, and follow the onscreen instructions?

Fdisk isn't really necessary with the XP CD. You can use the XP disk to partition and format the drive. I suggest you use NTFS with a notebook for security and it also allows for less file fragmentation. Less Fragmentation also means less drive searches and better batterylife not to mention less wear on the notebook drive which is under a lot of heat.
If you're using a notebook with an Centrino Processor make sure to get SP 1 with XP I hear it allows for better implementaton of SpeedStep and wifi technology.

Tebore said:
Fdisk isn't really necessary with the XP CD. You can use the XP disk to partition and format the drive. I suggest you use NTFS with a notebook for security and it also allows for less file fragmentation. Less Fragmentation also means less drive searches and better batterylife not to mention less wear on the notebook drive which is under a lot of heat.
If you're using a notebook with an Centrino Processor make sure to get SP 1 with XP I hear it allows for better implementaton of SpeedStep and wifi technology.

You can just download SP 1 off the microsoft site once Windows XP Pro is installed right?

well, i would recommend going thru windows update which will patch everything and give you all the security updates. it will give you things like sp1, dx9b, and the latest windows messenger if you like to use that...

what is the brand?

what is the brand of the computer? In some notebook computers u don't have to g to bios to let machine boot from cd-rom just simply keep on pressing letter c while machine is booting and it will try to sek the cd and boot from it if it is bootable. And of course you'll have to go the relavant web site and get down the correct drivers and specially intel shipset drivers and power mangement drivers to correctley use the battery power. more help can be provided according to the machine model.

Back