• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good, cheap, lannable, quiet HSF combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pummer

I'm looking at heatsinks to replace my stock one. I've got about $25 to spend, including fan, shipped, give or take a few bucks. I need good performance, and it has to be LAN-able, meaning it can't be something that will rip off my ziff socket when I take it in the car. I also don't want to have my comp sound like a hair dryer, so i'm trying to keep the fan under 35 or 40 db.

So, i need a good, cheap, lannable, quiet HSF combo that will fit my needs. Anyone?

Try the 800A then, but any board that doesn't have the holes you will have the possibility of the hsf moving everytime you move the case and hurting temps. If you are going to lan alot then I would consider getting a new board with mounting holes.

I'm not going to lan "a lot" per se, maybe once a month. how many cfm should I look for in a fan?

Well, that depends on the noise level you want, you could go with a Panaflo L1A for low sound but good airflow or try a Thermaltake smartfan2 if you want really good airflow but screaming loud noise, they do adjust but are really good for high airflow, not so good at low speeds. Panaflo also has medium and high speed fans that push good air but are much louder than the L1A.

The main thing you need to worry about if you are moving your pc around is weight of the hsf. Too heavy, like a slk900, and it will shift alot and screw up your thermal paste. If you don't need really heavy o/c cooling then go for the sk-7 like bk94si said but it all depends on your movement and cooling needs beyond that.

what about an AX7, it's lighter than the SK-7 and gets better performance going by the HSF chart here...

ax7 is like 20+5 for fan. for 35 around ive seen slk 700 + tmd fan.

id spend the extra money for a slk700. your overclock would be better. but take in consideration your psu, if it has any power to overcock at all. if not, u dont need too good of cooling.

The AX7 does not outperform the SK7 at all, and nether does the SLK700. Rankings here.The SLK800 tends to need reseating after being moved, as does the 900. The CNPS700 Cu is for Intels only. I'd say that the SK7 is your best choice by far.

alright. I've decided on an SK7. what kind of fan should I get? I want it to be fairly quiet, but I also want good performance of course. also, i'm still a bit skittish about it being heavy, someone convince me it's not.

cherryp00t said:
www.svc.com

sk7 for 16 and a smartfan 2 for about 10 =d so thats 26 more or less within yoru budget =d

I was looking at this fan, if only it was in stock :(

squirtle632 said:
The CNPS700 Cu is for Intels only.

I beg to differ. There are nipples that are included that are for the AMD. Look at Zalman's web site. :) [/B]

The CNPS7000CU is for P4's or AMD Socket 754 only, not Socket A which Athlon XP's are.

Last edited:
Gautam said:
The AX7 does not outperform the SK7 at all, and nether does the SLK700. Rankings here.The SLK800 tends to need reseating after being moved, as does the 900. The CNPS700 Cu is for Intels only. I'd say that the SK7 is your best choice by far.

ax7 doesnt outperform it but look at the fan it has. the slk700 i believe is newer version of sk7 or the ax. one of them

The Zalman 7000A does work with Socket A. You can find it at xoxide, excaliberpc, and frozencpu although excaliberpc has the for the cheapest(41) and it requires 4 holes in the mobo.

7000a DOES work with socket a. only that its not worth buying it against a slk 800. the 7000 doesnt work as well with AMDs as it does with p4s

Back