• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8rda and cpu sensor incorrect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heilel

Registered
I've heard that the temp sensor for the CPU on the 8rda is attached to the SIDE of the CPU, which means any readings, you should add 10 degrees.
I've also heard that if you buy a revision 2 or greater of the 8rda, teh sensor is attached to the centre of the CPU, so that is fine.
Sadly I have a revision 1.1 8rda.

Also I have read on the AMD site that for the Barton processor, which is what I have, that the difference between what most sensors read as the CPU temp and what the ACTUAL CPU CORE temp is greater by about 30 degrees, so I guess AMDs logic is, since the CPY will die from 95 degrees up, if you have your SPU sensor reporting less than 65 degrees, you'll be ok.

So, does that mean, since my Mobo has specifically been reported as having a side mounted and stupid sensor, that I should add 40 degrees, rather than 30 degrees if I want to get the actual CPU core temp?

Last edited:
BUMP and More.

I too have an EPOX MB but its the 8RDA+, Rev. 1.1, and it is a refurb from NewEgg. I just put it all together last night in a completely new setup: EP-8RDA+; (ALL THE REST ARE NEW) AMD Barton 2500+ 333bus; SK-7 HS with Thermaltake SmartCase II fan (temp diode, fan rheostat, etc.); ANTEC Lanboy case; Maxtor 160G; Lite-On CDRW; Windows XP Pro; Kingston 512MB PC2700 Ram; etc.

Previously, I had been worried about the refurb MB and that I didn't see any Temp Sensor. However, was told that it was not visible.

It all worked when I booted up BUT I am concerned that the temp readings are incorrect.

When BIOS loads and it shows the temps, there is only a one-degree difference between the CPU and the MB. However, within the program Motherboard Monitor 5.3 that I went ahead and installed, it is showing a case temp of around 66 degrees (its right next to a window A/C output) and the CPU at around 90 degrees - that is if I have the correct setting within MBM...

I haven't installed the EPOX software that tells you temps, as I forgot about it when I was finishing up and checking things - it was very late, or early...so I do not know what this will say. I did use Artic Silver III and applied it with a credit card but had to redo it when I smooshed it around. AND when I installed the new SK-7 HS, it took A LOT of fidgeting to get it attached BUT NO cracked CPU!!

As I haven't done too much to it yet, and it is less than 18" from the 5000 BTU A/C, could I just be "lucky" that it is running so cool?

I haven't installed the temp sensor from the HS fan, as I am unsure how to do so and in what location, so that could be done tonight after some research.

Also, I am going to cut a top blow hole (my first) in the Lanboy and place either a good 80MM or 120MM exhaust fan there.

Finanlly, I will have to redo the Hard Drive, as I stupidly created a partition within Windows XP Pro of 20G and now the other 140G+ are missing...so I wil be taking it all out to make the hole and can put the sensor in place at that time.

So, forgive my details and the like, but I am tired, and would appreciate the Techs and other experts thoughts on my issues:

1. CPU Temp working?
2. How and where to place HS fan temp sensor?
3. 80mm or 120mm Blow hole fan?
4. Reformat the harddrive so ALL 160+ gig of storage appears, or something else - I did install WIndows XP Pro but it still needs 30 or more updates....?

And as usual, thank you in advance for your input!

First of all when you first turn the computer on the cpu IS only 1 degree warmer than the mobo sensor (atleast the cpu sensor is, the cpu is of course hotter than that, but it is still relativly cool at that point, since there is hardly any load). Secondly, in my system my on-board cpu sensor currently reads 54c, and my external sensor on the edge of the cpu core reads 48c, so the onboard sensor is actually reading hotter than the cpu. Now because my cpu is water cooled the CPU stays cooler, but there isnt any airflow accross the socket, so the on-board sensor goes up, but still, the on-board isnt too far off.

For the blowhole, 80mm is probably enough, although a 120mm at 7v will move more air quieter than the 80. But 120 is really big, i mean, thats a BIG hole in the top of your case.

The harddrive issue is easy. Control panels > administrative tools > computer management > storage > disk management. THere you should see your drive, and the 20gig partition on it. Double click in the un-partitioned space and it should let you create a new partition there.

and to both of you WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Thanks for ALL the feedback. I will try some of what you provided this weekend. I am still beat from last night (his morning) and do not want to cut my first (blow) hole while I am cross-eyed.

Will let you all know how it plays out!

Thanks again.

Well, I finally put it all together and it works!

I built my third system and put it into a Lanboy case with a 350W PS; EP-8RDA+ (refurb) 400 Ultra Rev. 1.1; Barton 2500+ retail; Kingston PC2700 256MB VR; ATI Radeon 9500 Pro OC to 9700 Pro (my first!); several LED/UV fans; SK-7 HS with a Thermaltake SF II; etc.

As its next to the window A/C, my temps are quite nice! The highest on the CPU was 40 degrees C and averages 37C and 32C on the system.

This was my second EP-8RDA+ but my third system. I am very proud that ALL have worked and this is my first REAL attempt to OC. I did the BIOS tweak on the Radeon and it worked. Only have it set at 300/300 right now but will see what I can do later.

Then I started to OC the Barton/etc. Started at a baseline of 11,300 3D Mark 2001Se then set the multiplier at 11.0 and got to 192 Mhz before I stopped for a recorded 2.21 on the Barton with a score of over 14,830. No problems so far.

However, this is my first real OC and am unsure of ALL the tweaks I can do - to all the different parts. And, I am unsure of what programs to run to "burn-in" and ensure its running properly. A lot of quides out there but none that are ALL inclusive of what I need for my particular setup.

Haven't touched voltage or anything other than what is mentioned above. I guess it was a milestone for me as I turned 50 yesterday and wanted to do something out of my field that I can claim as I get senile!

So, now I know the temp sensor is working at least...thanks to all again!

Excellent.

Its great to hear that its not just younger guys in here learning, all the power to ya!

As far as stability testing, you should go ahead and pick up Prime95, this is a grueling test of your cpu and if it can survive a prolonged period of it you can know that it is pretty damn stable.

not only that, but any instability in your ram will also show up in prime95.

Thats a pretty nice CPU to do 2200 without increasing the voltage, my barton takes 1.75v to do that, and 1.85 to do 2300 stable.

I did try Prime95 earlier this week but it kept locking up right at the beginning, so I want to reinstall it now that the PC has been on and running for the entire week. Highest temp on the CPU so far was 40C - and the room was in the 80'sF at the time!

Ran the Sandra Burn-in for three 24-hour periods and no problems - CPU temp was basically flat at 37C.

I am about to do some of the finishing touches tonight - lighting, side hole in the clear plastic of the LanBoy adjacent to the ATI Radeon 9500 Pro GPU and whatever.

I am going to wait on the SB and NB for awhile, as I have all the parts to improve cooling, but am thinking about lapping - if I am brave enough!

I have already made a list of possible/probable tasks to do for the other two PC's that my 14-year old son assisted me on. One has an AMD 1600+ that runs way too warm and it was our first one - its in a ABIT KR7A and needs some tuning, then will sell it.

The other is a workhorse and has just as great a potential as the Barton - its a "good" 1700+! Hope you all are around when I start on those!!!

I may have turned 50 this week, but I still act 19, and feel 70 sometimes. Yet, I will always strive to learn new things. I am basically a problem solver and spend most of my off-time raising my two kids (single-parent), and then in the Fall/Winter - watch out - hunting here I come!! Already looking forward to waterfowl, dove, waterfowl, deer, waterfowl, upland, waterfowl, etc., seasons.

And I do appreciate all the great assistance I have received here and around the Net. Thanks again.

Back